Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up a copy of newest issue of F&S today. It contains 18 short stories of memorable events in the field by various staff w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a copy of newest issue of F&S today. It contains 18 short stories of memorable events in the field by various staff w

Picked up a copy of newest issue of F&S; today. It contains 18 short stories of memorable events in the field by various staff writers. Nice to actually see some stories instead of the usual technocrap promotions. Anyway, it's one of the best issues I've seen. Enjoyed it a lot.

Petzal's story of having his faced kicked by his horse on an elk hunting trip reminded me of a couple of similar situations. My brother had his nose broke saving one of my pack horses as it slipped down a rock face with a load of elk quarters. That was a memorably bad expedition for a number of other reasons. Also reminded me of the time I rode my pack horse end over end down the mountain near Scott Lake. I survived somehow but my gun didn't (see photo in my collection). And John Merwin's story of his nerve-wracking confrontation with a grizzly on Alaska's Brooks River reminded me of countless similar experiences fishing there during five months in 2007. He must have been working the bows on the upper river. I avoided it because the bears could drop right out of nowhere. Also the rocks were larger, flat, and slippery. The fish were bigger on the lower river, footing was better, and it provided more visibility.

Comment

O.H., I enjoyed reading the short story called "Pain". The four hundred pound sow grizzly was on top of the sheep/goat hunter in seconds. The guide ran up with a rifle and killed the sow, but the hunter's face was tore up pretty bad. It is ssd the two cubs became orphans, but the guide saved the hunter's life.

Comment

"You could tell us apart because he had four legs and I was covered in blood..." Petzal can write. I chuckled about that line for a good 30 minutes.

Comment

Good post OHH. I love to read stories like those. I thought I was tough until I read Petzal's story about getting kicked, but still getting his elk.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
            by Amflyer
            Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
            Today, 10:26 AM
          • More Bad News....
            by WA Mtnhunter
            My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
            07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
          • Reply to 16 Years
            by Ontario Honker Hunter
            "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
            Today, 09:38 AM
          • 16 Years
            by jhjimbo
            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
            Yesterday, 09:20 PM
          • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
            by FirstBubba
            Yes sir, he is....
            Today, 07:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X