Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do any of you own an SKS and do you like it. Do you hunt with it and do you think that a ban would eliminate them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do any of you own an SKS and do you like it. Do you hunt with it and do you think that a ban would eliminate them.

do any of you own an SKS and do you like it. Do you hunt with it and do you think that a ban would eliminate them.

Ammo is relatively cheap and it is fun to shoot. Otherwise the gun serves no purpose. It is not hunting accurate.

My son owns one which is tricked out with all of the bells and whistles.

Comment

A friend has one and he thinks it will remain legal as it has a fixed magazine. not a particularly well made rifle and was replaced by the ak-47

Comment

I don't especially care for any semi-automatic rifle because I detest stoppages. They are bad enough on the range but truly bothersome in the field.
        I don't think they will be banned because I think the public is getting tired of the same old dog and pony show in Washington.

Comment

I already wrote a story about taking a young fella hunting with one of these last fall. He did shoot a buck with it but if it hadn't been for our dog we would have never known he hit it (at fifty yards!). I have personally shot over sixty deer and seen perhaps that many more shot but never anything like that. No indication whatsoever that it was hit. I told him I look forward to taking him out again next season but he won't be going with me unless he is shooting something else. That thing is junk.

Comment

Its not the Gun(sks)its the Ammo(7.62x39)Ball?? Winchester and Remington makes Hunting Ammo for the 7.62x39/124GrPSP, The SKS and AK-47 did lots of Damage back in the NAM, It mite be JUNK by our Standard, But it worked. In Honker case it may be Wrong Ammo and or Bullet Placement??

Comment

Shot placement was in the boiler room. Buck did go a lot farther than I would have expected for a lung shot. Big thing is there was absolutely no indication it was hit. Nothing. Neither sight nor sound. And I was very close to the shooting. I think he may have been using military ammo. I have to admit, it didn't look like much of a game killing round to me. Comparable to M1 carbine (well, maybe not quite THAT bad). Maybe something I might shoot coyotes with.

Comment

Yeah, treestand, we were shooting those guys with .223 over there and I wouldn't shoot deer with that caliber either.

Comment

Ammo is the problem, with proper bullets it makes an effective killing round, about the same as a 30-30. Some manufactures used it as a bolt action hunting round. I purchased a new not reconditioned Russian SKS around 1994 it shot well, for $160. Shot about 40 rounds through it, cleaned it and stored it. Three weeks ago, I sold it with two 30 round magazines and 500 rounds of ammo for $650. I'm starting to get rid of things that I haven't used in years.

Comment

Had one long ago. No detachable mag so I don't know where it would fall on the proposed AWB...key word being proposed.
                    It was included in the bunch I sold to a dealer for quick cash to buy a horse.
                    Looking back, it was fun to shoot, not very accurate, and I wish I had the money I spent on ammo.

Comment

Had one and didn't like the inaccuracy. Sold it.
                      Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Hey don't knock the .223 for Fl.Deer hunting, I using it on my last 2-deer seasons with good results(3Does-2-Bucks)all one shot-drops, with a 64Gr-PSP PMC Ammo. The longest shot was 90Yd+/-the shortest Shot was 20Yd+/- All out of a Tree Stand but one.

Comment

I've shot an SKS a bit and think it is a fine thick timber rifle. It is relatively heavy but has always worked fine for me. My sister-in-law prefers her SKS to her nice Tika .270 WSM. She has taken dozens of deer with it. It has very light recoil by comparison and an instant second shot if you need it. She is lethal with it.

OH... it sure sounds like your guy was using Full Metal Jackets... just about any caliber zips through deer with no notice of a hit if you use a FMJ. We re-load our own with good hunting bullets and find the SKS to be on par with the .308 in performance... no problems. My only issue has been the noisy load of a striper clip. I had to load it with a coyote standing 40 yards away and just could not do it quietly and ultimately scared him into the timber before I could load it and get a shot. They are ugly but they work.

Comment

I don't own one, but no they would not be effected by a ban.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Speaking of the QAnon fool ...

And what magazine articles was I supposed to have plagiarized? Oh right ... the one about chasing elk on
                              Today, 04:40 PM
                            • Trump
                              by Danbo
                              https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                              04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to Trump
                              by crm3006
                              From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                              Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                              Today, 04:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X