Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descibe the worst hunting or fishing trip you ever went on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descibe the worst hunting or fishing trip you ever went on.

Descibe the worst hunting or fishing trip you ever went on.

Even the bad trips for me have turned out to later be funny and fun to tell. But this past summer I went to the beach with a friend, and my friends grandfather hired a guide to take 3 of us fishing for reds and trout. Well we had come to the beach just a few days after a big storm had blown in and we caught nothing at first. Then we got out into some deeper and it started pouring down rain, and of course everybody left their rain gear at home. So we were freezing our butts off not catching fish in the freezing rain. Usually I love fishing in the rain, but not when it's that cold and hitting me that hard!

Comment

Fifty years or so ago, I journeyed to British Columbia elk hunting. Arriving at the small airport, I wandered around looking for my outfitter, whom I had never met. A Mountie walked up asking who I was looking for, my reply prompted him to inform me my guide was in jail for brawling. My first mistake was I bailed the chap out of the brig. Arriving at camp, I was introduced to a young hippy girl who spoke only French. Turned out he had picked her up a few days earlier hitchhiking on the highway, and now she was our cook. After the fourth day of hunting we returned to the tents to find the nubile cook gone missing. along with a saddle horse. My. Duffle bag cut open and my wallet along with a thousand bucks gone with the young lady. When I seemed upset the guide/outfitter wanted to fight. With that I saddled up and left, a sadder but wiser man. The worst part was we never saw an elk.

Comment

A lesson learned, always check references!

Comment

I took a four day fishing trip to Florida with a guy I barely knew. He was interested in learning how to fly fish so I buddied up to him as a mentor or guide and agreed to take this trip with him. My friends warned me he was an a-hole but he seemed like a good guy at the time.

After two days I wanted to kill the guy. Have never met anybody so rude and inconsiderate in my entire life. To this day I shutter just thinking about the 4 straight days on a boat, just him and I.

It's been 4 years and I still want to throw him overboard.

Comment

In my experience a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Comment

My son and I went on tuna charter to fill out a group , we all drove to the Outter Banks 9 hour trip! The guys we were with started drinking the day before we went out on the boat,all were drunk or hung over by the time it started one guy almost fell out of boat! The captain told me after one of our party call him captain stank(his name was Hank)that he was turning around because all this group wanted to do was get drunk.I told him that I didn't blame him at all,I'm still embarrassed and never went anyware with this bunch again!

Comment

Never use a friends 4x4 truck when the Gas needle points to "Full all the time" when(20/Ml from camp) on the back roads in the middle of Some-wear and No-wear and out of gas with No spear Gas Can! Thank-God for cell-phones and cell-service. This Happened To Me.

Comment

Nice story Happy!

Worst hunting trip for me... a two-way tie:
                  a) my brother shot me in the chest from about 20 yards with a 12 gauge #4 magnum while we were pheasant hunting. Collapsed both my lungs and punctured my jugular. Ouch! And a little scary for a while until the lungs re-inflated!
                  b) my brother-in-law popped off both barrels of a 12 gauge right above my left ear from 2 feet away. Cut the hair right down to my scalp and knocked me cold. I was actually quite angry on that one but it wasn't as scarey because I was knocked quite senseless for some time. By the time I regained my vision and could once again stand up, I had calmed down considerably.

Worst fishing trip: Colorado Rockies fishing an ice cold trout stream. I kept slipping on the snotty stream bed, got soaked, nearly froze to death and never caught a fish. After a lengthy treck back to the car, I discovered someone had bashed in a window on my Jeep and stolen my wallet. I only had a hundred bucks or so in it. I guess misery loves company though because I finally feel a lot better about it after hearing Happy's story!

Comment

I once got lost in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State while deer hunting, and I had to spend the night in the woods at 5 degrees above zero and a foot of snow on the ground.
                    I kept a fire going all night with deadwood and pine boughs hacked off live trees with my little Case hunting knife. A Bowie knife would have been most welcome.

Comment

Dakota Man its true you can't pick your family damn!

Comment

Happy,

My ending to your story was that I took both saddle horses and left him hog-tied to the meat pole.

Comment

I was following tracks of a big buck in five inches of snow. I went into a ticket and a branch slammed back into my eye. The pain was horrible, and my eye wouldn’t stop watering. Two hunting friend took me to a hospital in New Brunswick, Canada. The Doctor said I scratched my retina. I wore a black eye patch, and took pain killers. The Doctor said my hunt was over because wearing the patch in the woods would be dangerous. Plus my equal liberum would have been off.

Comment

Had a buddy talk me into a pack in elk hunt in the Weminuche WA north of Vallecito Reservoir. The remainder of the foursome was his dad and brother.
                            Pop had already been up for a week on a mulie hunt. The packer comes by and offers a pack string to get us out because the game had headed "SOUTH"!
                            Between Bayfield and Chimney Rock, we saw bulls and cows galore. We stopped in Pagosa Spgs for a bite and rest before heading home. I talked to a guy I knew there and he tells me Fosset Gulch is "loaded" with elk. He even offered to let us camp by his business.
                            The boys were ready, but pop was tired and was headed home with or without us. The boys?
                            "We're gonna do whut daddy does."
                            The "only" bright spot? My pregnant wife delivered two days after I got back!
                            Lesson learned?

Comment

The game left because we got two feet of snow opening day!

Lesson learned?
                              Don't be the only dot in the crowd with a family affair!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad