Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of stand do you use for hunting deer and what do you like about it and dislike about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of stand do you use for hunting deer and what do you like about it and dislike about it.

what kind of stand do you use for hunting deer and what do you like about it and dislike about it.

It all depends on the hunting situations. I used climbers, stick stands, and a homemade enclosed tower. The tower of course is really not effiecent for bow hunting. The climber is nice because you have alot more mobilty and its quiter to set up. The down side of climbers you have to find a straight tree. If you have lots of branches on the tree you can use the stick stand and use the branches for concealment. The down side of stick stands is takes a quite awhile to set up if you have to cut some branches to make a shooting lane and get your stand up, while doing this you are bound to make noise. So my opionion is all has to do with the situations. The enclose I don't use very much unless its raining or very cold, thats the WI deer hunting season is like.

Comment

I also forgot to mention that the climber is alot more comfortable to sit in if you are going to be hunting the majority of the day. I have the more expensive climber with the extend footrest and the extra padded seat and back cushion. Remember the more comfortable you are less you will move. I think mine is a Summit.

Comment

I usually use a climber for most hunting situations. I prefer the Summit brand. I hope to get a new hang-on style treestand this year.

Comment

I went to Cabela's few years ago and looked at many. Settled on Summit Goliath (I'm 6'3" 265 lb). It has becaome my favorite by far. Mainly because it's very comfortable. I can and do sit in it all day and it is safe. Also have a pop-up blind and 2 lock-ons. The lock-ons (even the big one with a big padded seat) are not so comfortable. About 3 hours is all I can take in one.

Comment

ladder and a step stand
            dislikes: people sometimes don't take good care pf their stands

Comment

Lone Wolf. The perfect tree stand. No complaints.

Comment

I've got a F&S climber that I use most of the time. Light to carry and pretty comfortable. I've got a few other climbers that I don't use very often anymore. I do have a few ladder stands set up around the property that I use but I prefer the climber for mobility.

Comment

I prefer to build my own between three trees. I build a floor and a seat. I put a hand-rail just below armpit height when I am sitting so I have a steady rest in every direction. Then I wrap it in burlap for a bit of shelter and concealment.

I have a portable that I hang for bow hunting (can't even tell you the brand). It has a platform and a fold up seat and works just fine. I actually took my best deer with a gun out of this stand, but I hate it for gun hunting as it doesn't have a rest.

Comment

I like a ladder stand if I can leave it in place and hunt the same location for most of the season. Relatively easy to install, easy to get up and down, comfortable. I sued the think deer were scared of the ladder but that just isn't so. I use a climber too where I can't leave a stand up because it is comfortable. It does the job but it is difficult to get up and down. It is also pretty heavy to carry very far.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad