Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCarl- an added tip on your baiting coyotes. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCarl- an added tip on your baiting coyotes. See first post.

NCarl- an added tip on your baiting coyotes. See first post.

If you've decided to wire your bait down as some of us have suggested, and the coyotes don't hit the bait, you might try and take the wire off. Some coyotes that have either been educated or are just a little more cautious than others won't touch it because of the wire. That said, bait that's been tied down is better at keeping both the bait and the coyote in your field of view a little longer.

Comment

I'm not sure why, but other than shooting 2 while deer hunting I've never gone after coyotes.

Comment

Thanks, I'm gonna try baiting sometime but it looks like all i will have time to do is call tomorrow. The spot we are going to is 50 minuets away so it tough to spend the time and gas money to set a bait pile. Im gonna wait till I will be up there for another reason to set some bait.

Comment

I hadn't either 10jo, not until a friend pried me from my winter boredom 6 years ago and invited me to go. Now it's a great winter hunting season.

Understandable NCarl, if you can get beaver carcasses from a trapper they work REALLY well. We just traded 4 coyotes whole for 26 beaver carcass. Well worth the trade for us.

Comment

It didn't go so well. Tried calling them in with a rabbit in distress call. Like I said when I get the chance im gonna try a bait pile. That seams a lot simpler than the call. Did manage to call crows in all morning so I must have sounded good enough...

Comment

When you are using a mouth or hand held call and the coyote try's to circle the distress sound, its not too hard for them to locate you using their nose. If you add a remote call to the mix, atleast the sound that they are circling doesn't have human scent coming from it. Throw in a decoy, and you may have better luck tricking them into gun range. It took us a while before we started getting them with a call, stay mobile, if you don't see anything in 45 min to an hr, pack up and move. Good luck, you'll trick em eventually.

Comment

That sounds pretty fun. Have you ever tried it with a 2 man team? Caller up wind shooter down wind? How far apart would have to spread? How far down wind do they circle?

Comment

Yes sir it is a blast. And yes, we most often hunt as a two man team. You've nailed it on the positions, and it all depends on the terrain as far as spread goes. When hunting a logging road, if your caller is 50 yards up, and the shooter is on the outside apex of a bend in the trail, you usually have pretty good luck. If you are hunting a field, sitting back to back and trying to watch gullies is often most prouctive. Coyotes often will make fools of themselves if they see a prey like movement and can associate it with the sound of the call. With no decoy, they can tend to hang up and circle you more often. Thus, with a call in your lap, they generally will get you wind. Its just a matter of watching the right direction before they bust you. As far as them circling you, it again depends on the terrain. If you call in the middle of the woods, they circle much closer than an open field. If you call in a clearing 50 yds across, but surrounded by trees, you can sometimes see them just inside the tree line trying to bust you. Alot of times they do just that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad