Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good knife to carry for field dressing? it needs to be great quality, somthing i can have forever and pass down, tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good knife to carry for field dressing? it needs to be great quality, somthing i can have forever and pass down, tough

what is a good knife to carry for field dressing? it needs to be great quality, somthing i can have forever and pass down, tough, and wickedly sharp. any help would be nice

cutco knives make hunting knives theyre not cheap but theyre good knives and have a lifetime warranty and if they ever go dull you send them back and theyll sharpen them. i used one that a guy in our hunting club had to gut and skin a deer and it would cut with ease

Comment

I once owned a Randall Bird and Trout knife with a 3 1/2" blade and a stag handle that I thought highly of.
      It was destroyed in a house fire several years ago. It would be frightfully expensive today.

Comment

I second the Cutco---drop point hunter is great. Also right up there is the Cold Steel Master Hunter, at least the old model I have is fine. There was one reviewed on this site a year or so ago---something to do with "Diamond"---Happy Myles had one and said it was the ultimate. Sorry I don't have full info.

Comment

I have also seen the cutco knives in action and can vouch for their razor sharp edge, but Buck and Outdoor Edge make a decent knife as well. Also look into Havalon for scalpel-like sharpness and maximum packability, and I would recommend the Outdoor Edge Swing Blade to anyone for both field dressing and skinning.

Comment

Look into a 4" drop point made by Benchmade and offered by the NRA Store. The knife is a Mel Pardue design with a very thick blade and Kraton handles. Will hold an edge for a good long while, if used properly. Cutco and Buck are also very good choices, and I would check on Knives of Alaska, also.

Comment

The knife Country road indicated I mentioned is Diamond Blade. They make truly outstanding custom blades. The only drawback is they are very expensive, but to use for a lifetime and then hand down , is a gift of a lifetime. Dave Petzal, and Buckhunter love theirs. Kindest Regards

Comment

Gerber makes great knives and they are not expensive still using my grandpas and dads gerbers. Old timer and schrade made some good ones a while ago fixed blades with a green rubber handle. Although I was told the company is now making those out of country and are not that good anymore.

Comment

I agree on Knives of Alaska and Outdoor Edge Knives.

Comment

I love knives made by Bob Legler. I have carried one for many years and often give them as gifts. They hold a great edge and can really take a beating. I also find them attractive. They aren't as cheap as a production knife, but I think they are underpriced for the quality. Customer service is also outstanding. I have the Beaumont.

www.leglerknives.com/index_files/Page723.htm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Visible Voter "fraud"
                      by FirstBubba
                      WAM, friend who trained my Rotty as my service dog had this T-shirt made up!
                      I wear it when I go to WalMart!

That's my boy on the...
                      Today, 12:37 PM
                    • Visible Voter "fraud"
                      by FirstBubba
                      First. Note that in Milwaukee, WI, another 386 uncounted votes were found(?).

On to bigger and much more visible evidence.

11-25-2020, 10:13 AM
                    • Reply to Voter Fraud
                      by 99explorer
                      Bubba-
                      Putin could not have said it better himself.
                      Today, 11:47 AM
                    • Voter Fraud
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                      11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                    • Reply to So.....demoncrats ain't coming for your guns? Really?
                      by labrador12
                      Good article rat. Unfortunately, 2020 Democrats are into the Green Nude Eel, Russian Collusion, Impeachment for doing what Biden did, giving Hunter a...
                      Today, 11:07 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X