Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok F&S fans, another post made me wonder this, has anyone ever had an in-field confrontation with another hunter, or a non-hunte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok F&S fans, another post made me wonder this, has anyone ever had an in-field confrontation with another hunter, or a non-hunte

ok F&S; fans, another post made me wonder this, has anyone ever had an in-field confrontation with another hunter, or a non-hunter? how did you handle it?

While on an early morning elk hunt I arrived at a gate that some other hunters were passing through on horse back. They informed me that 4 wheelers were not allowed beyond the gate (a fact that I was savy too.) I told them I knew and that I was going to continue on foot. They said that that was good because they were going to call the game warden on me if I moved my 4 wheeler through the gate. It was rude and upset me but I ignored them and started out on foot. I shot an elk later that morning, and as I was dragging it out they showed up behind me on the road. They followed me out, I told them they could pass and they said that they were gonna follow me out to make sure that I did not use my 4 wheeler to retrieve the elk. They never offered to dally up and pull the elk out, they just followed me out the whole 3 miles. It was very disturbing to me that a fellow hunter would act in that manner. But when I finally made it to my 4-wheeler I loaded the elk and without any smart remarks I left with my elk, they were empty handed.

The year before that I was hunting in the mountains when some college students that were running through the mountains banging pots and pans ran up to me and started in about how horrible I was because I was hunting, they insulted me and tried everything to start a fight. Again I just ignored them and left the mountains that day.

Comment

Yes I leased a farm next to horse farm a man walked out into the field and follow him,his wife did not like hunters and he was going to Jason (my son) a stearn talking to (his words a couple of days later). My other son and I watch from a distance as he did't catch up and turned around. Two days later he tracked me down at my truck and ask what we were doing there (da) and then ask where were we shooting from? After I explained to him that we did not intend to cause any harm to the horses and his property he seemed to calm down. He then told me that his wife had him fired up and he was going to get in that young mans butt and give him the what for but he could see we were good guys and he would like to see some of the deer gone anyway! The last thing he said was he was glad he didn't catch up to that young man he just didn't know what would have happen! Jason is a training mma fighter I'm glad he didn't catch up with him too! He did all this while tresspassing on the farm I leased and he was giving me the ok to do what I had paid for and had the right to do!

Comment

A few times during turkey season, while hunting private land, other hunters have approached me. The first hunter walked by mid-morning, i hollered to make sure he knew i was there. He knew alright. He came up and grilled me about hunting private property without permission. He seemed even more angry when i told him that i had permission and provided proof. I told him if he wanted to hunt it, i would come by the next week, and he could hunt it that week. Later that day (i live right next to this property) i heard a shot and saw him dragging a turkey out. The next year his brother walked behind me in the dark. Since i knew he was around i just stayed put and didn't call. He saw me on his way out and came over to make sure i had permission. He was a lot nicer, probably because his brother warned him. Then when i was scouting on my dads' property, one of his neighbors started yelling at me saying i was up to no good. When i told him who my father was, he apologized and drove off. These are just a few of confrontations i have had. DNR officers once asked for my fishing license 3 times one day. Sad part was it was the same officer all three times. I must just look suspicious.

Comment

one day this deer season me and my buddy were hunting near his grandfthers house and we had sat for like an hour and some dude came walking in there still hunting with a bow. i whisled at him and waved my orange hat and he looked at us, nodded, and then just went back the way he came.

Comment

I was climbing down out of my deer stand after dark a few years ago, when my hunting partner pulled up in his truck on the road that I was supposed to meet him on. Well all of a sudden from across the river I hear a lady start screaming "WHO'S OVER THERE". Well I didn't respond, but my hunting partner yelled back that we were hunting on private property and that we had permission from the landowner (which we did). Well she then proceeded to yell at us and tell us that if we didn't leave she was going to call the police on us for no apparent reason.... Well after some verbal argument between my hunting partner and this lady she finally says "If I hear you shoot at my house (we hadn't even shot that night) she was going to call the police and have us arrested. This is something that my 81 year old hunting did not like at all, so with his mouth he said "BAM BAM BAM BAM!!" when I heard that I about fell out of my stand from laughing so hard! The police never came and we got out of there safely. We just thought it was completely rude that some lady would tell us to leave a property that wasn't even hers in the first place. We still get a kick out of that story every time we bring it up.

Comment

A few years ago ten dogs got into my neighbors sheep. So I got my shotgun to take care of a few of the dogs when she comes out and shoots at them with a 22. Then she gets in her pickup and goes after them. I'm just standing there waiting to see what happens when her bother drives up and says something to me, which I thought he wanted to know what was going on, so I told him about the dogs killing the sheep and he said something again and I said what did you say (I couldn't hear him very well). He said again only louder, "If I see you again with that gun I'm going to stick it up your a**. I said I don't think so, and he said why. I said because I have the gun and you don't. He looked at me with a strange look on his face and I just walked away and didn't care if the dogs killed all of the sheep.

Comment

Tneal, that doesn't surprise me. After all you were hunting near Bozeman (a.k.a. Boze-Angeles), the land of alien transplant wannabee Montanans. I have a good friend who is a lawyer there. He has pretty much given up big game hunting altogether because of the morons in the field there these days.

I about had a shootout with four dudes from PA over a raghorn elk they had winged and I subsequently hit. They wanted to wait till the next morning to follow it. I said no. Had no intention of taking "their elk" but I wasn't going to let the poor thing die in the night and go to waste. They bluffed and I called em. I eventually shot the elk in my flashlight as it was charging me. Then left it to them. No, I cleaned it first. They didn't have a clue about how to do that. Haven't shot an elk since.

I had countless bad experiences up here the first couple of weeks of moose season. It is crazy! I could write pages! So I quit going out then. Eventually the moose have been all shot off so I quit hunting big game altogether.

Comment

Aside from a few dipsheets complaining that my dawg retrieved birds they sailed in my direction, I usually avoid the idiots and their antics. I prefer to not participate in conflict resolution with armed morons, which usually ends poorly.

Comment

WAM, thankfully the hunting is so great here that I often have trouble returning the geese my dog has picked up which others have shot and sailed into our end. The shooters often don't want to take their birds - they want to avoid filling the bag and keep on shooting. But it usually doesn't degenerate into anything more than a couple of grins and "Aw shucks do I have to?" I don't mind taking a bird or two if they want to have more fun. I can always come out again the next day whereas most of them are working stiffs and don't have that luxury.

A year ago, on the anniversary of my wife's death (Canadian Thanksgiving weekend), I did have a blowup in the fields. Some idiot was in the trees on the edge of the field intercepting the geese as they came from the river to my decoys. He was shooting at them a hundred yards up. Walked around there to tighten him up and found two young kids dressed in basketball shorts and jeans standing in a field of WEEDS in the middle of six decoys with a dog tied up with baling twine. What the...? Their granddad stepped out of the trees and I cut the air pretty blue! "Well, you're just sore because I got four geese with this 10 gauge. How many have you shot?" I told them I probably could have a dozen if I went down to the river and shot them like he did. His grandson said "Well why DON'T you go down there and shoot them then?" I said because the gawdam river is CLOSED TO HUNTING as your poacher granddad very well knows. They packed up and left. I felt a little badly about it later. Ordinarily I would have just hung it up and quit hunting for the day, but I was already in a pretty dark mood for obvious reasons.

Comment

One time i was deer hunting on public land. There was an old rusty 2 man treestand that had hung there for as long as I could remember. I only hunt public land on weekdays when Im pressed for time and need to stay close to home so I don't usually run into people. Well about 2 hours before dark I heard something coming from behind me. I stood up and grabbed my bow. To my surprise it was another hunter getting in a little late. I whistled at him he looked up at me and asked me what the hell I was doing in "his" stand. I proceeded to tell him that "his" stand was hung on public land but I would get down out of it if he wanted in. he got all fussy couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to do. finally he said that there was a couple other stands hung a few hundred yards from this one. he didn't know who's they were but he was going to get in one of those. What a hypocrite. That ticks me off, what right does he have to just claim a tree on public land and then throw a fit when someone is hunting in it. I still hunt that stand from time to time and haven't run into him since.

Comment

I have a hot temper so I try to avoid "seeking an amiable solution while armed". I did encounter a road rager last year while returning from the range with 3 rifles in my trunk. This tatooed nut-job chased me for miles until we rached a stop light when he got out and started screaming and banging on my car. Let's just say GOD was looking down on us and somehow I stayed in my car and did not engage him. If I had I would not be free to write this post! Interesting enough; I called the cops when I got home and they wouldn't do anything even though I had taken his picture with my cell phone and had his license plate.

Comment

OHH, they sound like they were being rude and stuck up about the whole deal, so I would say that you made a good call. You may of actually helped them even! Yeh never know where the Green Jeans may be...

Comment

Years ago in north centeral Pennsylvania I was hunting with a friend during the buck season, thier method of hunting was deer drives. I was sent to a small open spot between two patches of woods only to see a hunter sitting in the middle of this small field right in the center of the drive! Oh well sh*t happens so I waited for the drive to end. My friend and others exited the woods and started to talk to the hunter so I walked over to hear what was being said. The man about 55 was giving my friend a good chewing out about being on his property and how it would be different if he had asked for permission because he (the man) always ask the land owner. My friend gave his apology the man would have none of it and told us all to leave. My friend said to all of us he did not know what was going on ,did the land owner sell this part of his land were we to far over he was beside himself! That night we went to the land owners home and he had no idea who this man was, why he was there and the biggest thing he did not own that land! No one ever saw this guy again.

Comment

I have had more run in than i can count with deer hunters that hunt with dogs here in eastern NC. I have had them try to run me off of land my family owns and have had some fairly serious arguements with people whose dogs I caught on my property and turned over to the pound.,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad