Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a Savage .243 for a song (I got one of them fancy push-up bra's, that helped too) with a scope to boot. Any of you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarge01
    replied
    I'm just partial to my 300WSM because: Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels but little guns will always be little guns.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    Nice purchase. It'll do great for deer and coyotes.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    OHH is a little slow on the uptake as usual....

Lacy push-up's can sure distract older gentlemen into a bargain sale!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Congratulations, you will get lots of enjoyment out of that rifle I am certain. Savages shoot very well and the new .243 bullets we have extend their usefullness from gophers to elk (yes elk). Although they aren't the BEST at the low end and the high end, they can get the job done if that is all you have.

I've re-discovered the .243 (I used to shoot one a lot at coyotes and foxes) with the 58g Hornady V-Max. It is fast and accurate and an excellent varmint bullet. With the great hunting bullets available now a 75g or 85g bullet is plenty for deer (depending of course on range), preserving the speed of this zippy rifle for quick kills, short leads and minimal holdover.

I suspect if you get a great scope, that rifle will amaze you with its accuracy. The Vortex Diamondback or Viper will do an amazing job for you at a low cost. The Nikon Monarch is a great scope and of course the Leupold VX2 to VX3 are top notch with the Viper and VX3 leading the pack. These all come in at different prices but will allow that rifle to shoot gophers at 500 yards with enough magnification and the right loads. I've always believed that practice with your rifle is what makes for a good marksman/woman.

I highly recommend reloading to get the most out of it though because the factory ammo producers just put deer bullets on the shelf... to get access to the fun loads, you have to reload. Reloading also allows you to tune the bullet to your unique rifle, thereby obtaining accuracy that is unlikely to occur in factory ammo. If you get it as accurate as it can be, you will enjoy it even more. If it is accurate, take a look at the DTAC 115g bullet for 1000 yards. You might be surprised to see how far your new rifle can shoot.

By the way, I think it is wonderful that your old-timer found a great home for his rifle. I'm thinking about that nowadays too. I want mine to bring someone else as much enjoyment as they have brought me. Think of the great times he must have had with that rifle whenever you shoot it and be thankful you are making his dream come true by enjoying it.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Nice that old fella gave you his gun. That will mean a lot till the end of your days. I'm just not getting the connection to the bra though. Guess I'm getting old too.

Leave a comment:

• RockySquirrel
    replied
    SquirrelGirl (no relation); That was funny.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    I shoot a .240 Weatherby that is quite a bit faster than the .243 Win but the .243 is a hot flat shooting round too. So I always make sure to use a well constructed bullet like a Nosler Partition or Accubond for fear that the bullet may blow up. Avoid varmint bullets because .243s are dual use cartridges; varmints and thin skinned Big Game like deer and antelope. Mine is pretty much an antelope rifle now but I have used it on deer and hogs.

Leave a comment:

• squirrelgirl
    replied
    No it wasn't Walmart. It was an older gentleman who had just suffered his fourth stroke (whom I've hunted squirrels when I was a runt). He had a large collection and knows his time here with us is getting short so he wants to make sure his babies go to good homes.

Leave a comment:

• hawndog
    replied
    .243 is a nice rifle. Just make sure to use heavy grain bullets and harder construction than you might on slower larger calibers. There are a lot of Varmit rounds for this rifle that will not get the penitration needed for larger game.

Leave a comment:

• Safado
    replied
    Wow! Elk with a .243...impressive!!!

Leave a comment:

• tneal1987
    replied
    My wife uses a .243 and consistently takes down deer and elk you should have enough rifle for whatever you want to shoot. Good luck and happy hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    You GO Girl....Cant go wrong with a Savage Rifle in 243W...Just put a Good Scope on it...I hunted for 20+Yr wih a Win M/100-243 With the 100Gr Ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    A gun and double barrel slingshot in the same store? Where do you shop? Oh, right. It was a Savage. Must have been Walmart.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I've got a Savage FHSS 116. It shoots great. I don't think that push up bra thing would work for me.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Now that I think about it Federal has switched to their version of the TSX the "Trophy Copper" but my guess is they are basically the same. I have not tried the new bullets.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad