Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a Savage .243 for a song (I got one of them fancy push-up bra's, that helped too) with a scope to boot. Any of you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a Savage .243 for a song (I got one of them fancy push-up bra's, that helped too) with a scope to boot. Any of you

I just bought a Savage .243 for a song (I got one of them fancy push-up bra's, that helped too) with a scope to boot. Any of you all have experience with them? I needed a new deer gun I'm hoping it'll do the trick.

I use to sale these years ago when I worked at a sporting goods store. They are nice rifles, and wont empty your bank account. Be sure to sight it in and practice with the ammo you will be using. Good luck, and safe hunting.

Comment

I set my son up with a ruger 77 in 243 win for his first deer hunt. I loaded 100 gr nos partitions for him and he took a buck at 120 yds. That buck went down like it was hit by an axe! He now uses a 270 and loaded 55gr nos for preadators. Good all around gun, have fun.

Comment

What model Savage is it ?

Comment

Sorry about spelling on last post I can read better than I can spell predator! Sarge like Your Wish rifle Sako 85 270 win short mag. mine also.

Comment

I like the Savage rifles I own. They are both accurate and the Accutrigger is great.
            I have taken a couple deer with a .243. Federal loads an 85gr TSX which put both deer down within sight. Most folks favor a 95/100gr bullet if you are using jacketed bullets. Enjoy the new gun!

Comment

Now that I think about it Federal has switched to their version of the TSX the "Trophy Copper" but my guess is they are basically the same. I have not tried the new bullets.

Comment

I've got a Savage FHSS 116. It shoots great. I don't think that push up bra thing would work for me.

Comment

A gun and double barrel slingshot in the same store? Where do you shop? Oh, right. It was a Savage. Must have been Walmart.

Comment

You GO Girl....Cant go wrong with a Savage Rifle in 243W...Just put a Good Scope on it...I hunted for 20+Yr wih a Win M/100-243 With the 100Gr Ammo.

Comment

My wife uses a .243 and consistently takes down deer and elk you should have enough rifle for whatever you want to shoot. Good luck and happy hunting.

Comment

Wow! Elk with a .243...impressive!!!

Comment

.243 is a nice rifle. Just make sure to use heavy grain bullets and harder construction than you might on slower larger calibers. There are a lot of Varmit rounds for this rifle that will not get the penitration needed for larger game.

Comment

No it wasn't Walmart. It was an older gentleman who had just suffered his fourth stroke (whom I've hunted squirrels when I was a runt). He had a large collection and knows his time here with us is getting short so he wants to make sure his babies go to good homes.

Comment

I shoot a .240 Weatherby that is quite a bit faster than the .243 Win but the .243 is a hot flat shooting round too. So I always make sure to use a well constructed bullet like a Nosler Partition or Accubond for fear that the bullet may blow up. Avoid varmint bullets because .243s are dual use cartridges; varmints and thin skinned Big Game like deer and antelope. Mine is pretty much an antelope rifle now but I have used it on deer and hogs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad