Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go with a 3-9x40 or a 4-12x40 to put on a 30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go with a 3-9x40 or a 4-12x40 to put on a 30-06?

Should I go with a 3-9x40 or a 4-12x40 to put on a 30-06?

Do ya hunt bean fields or brush piles? I shoot a 3-9 x 40 in here in Maine. But if I see a deer 100 yds away, chances are it's in the bed of someones pick-em-up truck and I'm in walmart parking lot.

Comment

3x9 is a versatile scope, and would work great on your 06.

Comment

I got a 3X9 on mine and I want to get another scope to put on it. If I do get another scope, it will be a 3X9.

Comment

I'll take the 3-9 X 40.
          When it comes to scope magnification, I do not believe that more is better.
          In a fixed-power scope, I would choose 4X for a .30-06, so I would most definitely not choose that as the lowest power in a variable-power scope.

Comment

I have 3x on one gun and 4x on the other. I have never wanted for anything more powerful when hunting deer, elk, or moose.

A 4x12 might be useful for varmint hunting but I doubt that's what your planning to do with your 30-06.

Comment

'06 2x7, .300wbymag 3x9, .300 savage K2.5, 22-250 4x12,
              30-06 should be fine with a 2x7 or fixed 4x. On low power the 2x7 is easier to acquire the target and hold for the shot. the 22-250 is for varmint so thus the higher power.

Comment

My 2 cents worth:
                .308 Win 2-7x33
                '06, .35 Whelen, .257 Roberts, 3-9x40 and a 42.
                7mm Weatherby 3-10x40
                .300 Weatherby 3-12x44

Comment

All good answers, I always seem to hunt with lowest power settings and work on the range with the higher.
                  Never use your scope as a spotter or binoculars! 3x9 is my choice.

Comment

I use 3X9X50's here in WV and it never comes the 9 power setting. When I used to travel to Alabama and hunt in the bean fields I liked a scope with a little more magnification. I have a 4X12X50 that I like too. It depends on where you hunt. I have always said you can hit what you can't see. I would much rather have a 4X12X40 and not need it than need it and not have it.

Comment

Either of those scopes will do just fine. But if this is something keeping you awake at night, go with a 3-12x40.

Comment

The 3-9x40 is an excellent scope for most 30-06 conditions. The low magnification gives you a wide field of view for quickly acquiring moving game and it allows you to locate your target quickly in the timber. Higher magnification is useful if you are commonly shooting from 200-400 yards although a 3-9 will allow you to hunt deer just fine at that range too. I use a 50mm objective on mine for picking up a little more light. It gives me about 1/2 hour more hunting time daily. I also use 40mm objective lens where I need a lighter and more nimble rifle to drag through dense brush. I use 2.5-10x50 on my deer rifles in 30-06 and 25-06.

Comment

I believe your .30-'06 would be well served by the 3-9X variable. I have a 4-12X on a .223 sporterweight, and I rarely have reason to crank it up to 12X. The 3-9X has optimized the versatility of a few of my centerfire rifles.

Comment

WAM's picks are dead on. I only have one 4x12x44 on a .223 and I am contemplating going back down. I never take my hunting scopes off the lowest power but the extra magnification is nice at the range.
                            When I hunted in CO 3x9 was plenty even for longer ranges.
                            The lighter scopes don't alter the balance of the rifle too much.

Comment

22lr 2 x 7 x 28
                              22-250 3 x 9 x 40
                              22-250 8 x 35 x 50
                              240 Weatherby Magnum 3 x 9 x 40
                              270 Win 3 x 9 x 40
                              308 Win 3 x 9 x 40
                              30-06 Sprng 3 x 9 x 32

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad