Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you watched Obama's sorry State of the Union last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you watched Obama's sorry State of the Union last night?

How many of you watched Obama's sorry State of the Union last night?

President Obama put a rosy spin on several accomplishments of his administration in his 2013 State of the Union address.
    The president claimed that "both parties have worked together to reduce the deficit by more than $2.5 trillion." But that's only an estimate of deficit reduction through fiscal year 2022, and it would be lower if the White House used a different starting point.
    Obama touted the growth of 500,000 manufacturing jobs over the past three years, but there has been a net loss of 600,000 manufacturing jobs since he took office. The recent growth also has stalled since July 2012.
    He claimed that "we have doubled the distance our cars will go on a gallon of gas." Actual mileage is improving, but Obama's "doubled" claim refers to a desired miles-per-gallon average for model year 2025.
    Obama said the Affordable Care Act "is helping to slow the growth of health care costs." It may be helping, but the slower growth for health care spending began in 2009, before the law was enacted, and is due at least partly to the down economy.

The president also made an exaggerated claim of bipartisanship. He said that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney agreed with him that the minimum wage should be tied to the cost of living. But Romney backed off that view during the campaign.

Go to FACTCHECK.ORG

Comment

I'd say his new speech writer is a dandy! LOL

Comment

WAM, when was the last time you saw a state of the union address that wasn't sorry? I do recall Nixon actually tackling the taboo subject of overpopulation in one of his S of U speeches but other than that they are typically the definition of articulated fluff.

Comment

OHH, I suppose it has become totally acceptable to stretch the facts to fit the bill everywhere these days. All politicians are liars or never say anything....

Comment

check this analysis out...

www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/12/Fact-Check-State-of-the-Union-2013

Comment

Why would anybody waste valuable time,when there are coyote to be skinned and snow to shovel. He probably didn't tell the truth any way.

Comment

I have to take Zoloft every time I hear him talk, so I try to avoid his speeches if I can.

Comment

I watched it on and off, however my attention span reverts to that of a cricket every time Obama gives a speech. I try to care, I really really do....

Comment

I figured I run into enough people over the course of a day who would cheerfully lie to me so why waste my time, and anyway, BO has exceeded my tolerance for BS long ago.

Comment

I watched "Tuesday Night Pursuits" on the Outdoor Channel.. My wife was enduring the same old thing and I told her to yell at me when he got to gun control. I turned the channel to hear him talk about gun control. A lot of grandstanding and having people there who were victims of gun violence. He didn't have anyone there who was saved by having a gun, should have had equal time. With the events of the past several months you can get people worked up especially the victims and the liberal Democrats about gun control. I don't think it will go anywhere but I think maybe he thinks it will. My Senator Manchin(D-WV) came out last week and said he will never under any circumstances vote for a ban on assault rifles. I think that he heard from enough West Virginians to know where his bread is buttered.

Comment

WAM, you didn't quite get it right ... a good politician these days is one who can talk a lot without saying anything.

Comment

I passed on the occassion. I could probably tell you word for word what was said without watching it. It is very simple he has a very few talking points and applause lines that he uses at every speech or opportunity for him to spew his venom. Must of the speech probably consisted of the following words and phrases:

Unprecidented
                          Bipartisan
                          I
                          Me
                          Myself
                          "The wealthy must pay their fair share"
                          Otherside
                          Poor people
                          "The wealthy needs to pay a little more"
                          Illegal immigrant
                          Fair
                          "The House blocking"
                          "Republican hostage takers"
                          "Constant opposition gridlock"
                          "Ask to Joe"
                          "You can't cut the deficit by cutting spending"
                          "Same old tired policies"
                          "We tried in the past administration"
                          "Worst economy since the Great Depression"

There are plenty more catch phrases and words he uses ad nauseam that I missed that you could contribute too. My point is EVERY last speech is identical. Wam it's same speech just changed order.

Comment

Actually when he said they deserve a vote, he was passing the buck to the republicans knowing they would not pass it. It was worse watching the smug do nothing Boehner set back and sip his water.

Comment

I watched it WAM and now I am sorry. Dcast, you covered about 95% of it. You left out "Most Americans would agree..." You can fill in the blank at the end.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad