Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember there was a Deer deterrent whistle that mounted on a car or truck. The shrill [not audible to humans] kept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember there was a Deer deterrent whistle that mounted on a car or truck. The shrill [not audible to humans] kept

Does anyone remember there was a Deer deterrent whistle that mounted on a car or truck. The shrill [not audible to humans] kept Deers from jumping in front of your vehicle. I can't find it or know if they even make it any more. Any help would be appreciated.

Carl, they can work but usually only momentarily. Mounted on the front bumper but easily plugged up with bugs or road dust. Unless you can stop to dig the crap out of them every fifteen miles they are pretty much useless. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I imagine that's why they aren't so popular any longer.

Comment

Check AutoZone

Comment

Learn to use the horn effectively. Honking while flipping lights from dim to bright will usually wake them from the trance and get them going in the right direction. The horn is the best defensive driving mechanism in any vehicle but seldom used for anything but offensive purposes. Proper usage could save thousands of lives every year.

Comment

My buddy had them on his pickup and he said as he was walking back up the road from hitting a deer he kicked the deer whistles as far as he could kick them along with alot of other parts from the front of his pickup.

Comment

On another note if a deer is running at the road with any speed you couldn't stop them with a D9 dozer.

Comment

Thank you for your knowledgeable posts. I guess the only real prevention is go slow be careful.

Comment

Deer do not hear acutely in that frequency range....

Comment

Auto Zone & O'Riley's Auto Parts have them as well as Walmart. They don't keep the deet from runningout front of your vehicle in Michigan,,lol

Comment

Saw them at canadian tire not too long ago. check their website.

Comment

I had them mounted on my front bumper many years ago, and never hit a deer, so I just assumed that they worked.
                      It must have had a placebo effect.

Comment

Heh, heh! So you kept running them over but just thought you hadn't? :-)

Comment

Carl, What would make yo think a whistle is anymore of a deterent than the sound of you vehicle flying down the road?

OH, the only thing a horn does is make the deer look at you with that stupid look they're associated with right before you hit them unless you see them up ahead.

Best bet to avoid deer strike is driving around with highbeams on to help light their eyes and alert yourself.

Comment

Dcast did you ever hear the expression a Deer in the Headlights. Deer have very large pupils good for detecting predators in the shadows. Very slow to react to bright lights. If your close enough to see their eyes it's too late.

Comment

Using the horn has worked VERY well for me in the past. Of course, don't lay on it making a constant howl. Honk ... Hoooonk ... Honk! That kinda stuff works best. Flip the lights up and down, up and down. DO NOT leave them on bright or they will not move. Noise does work best for moving them in one direction or the other. That's the most important thing. More often than not they stop as soon as they see headlights and then don't move until you're right on em. Get them moving one way or the other as quickly as possible. I have godzillion miles driven in very heavy deer country over the years and I have only hit TWO. And a LOT of those miles driving through the night. That's a pretty damned good record. Also haven't had an accident in forty years and only one speeding ticket (35 in a 25) in 1978. The judge offered to let me off on that one but I said no. That old 53 Chev Bel Air would be heartbroken if it couldn't get at least one speeding ticket before it went to the bone yard.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                                The site is much more enjoyable...
                                Today, 07:02 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to There goes my deer season
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do the game animals make it out or are they burned up ?...
                                Today, 06:56 PM
                              • There goes my deer season
                                by rock rat
                                Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                That is the problem, after a few cycles we would be like Argentina...
                                Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X