Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earlier this year a got a bad shot on a doe (hit her in the brisket she lived) while tracking her I found tons and tons of trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier this year a got a bad shot on a doe (hit her in the brisket she lived) while tracking her I found tons and tons of trail

Earlier this year a got a bad shot on a doe (hit her in the brisket she lived) while tracking her I found tons and tons of trails, really really heavy trails. I believe their bedding area is somewhere in between 4 diffrent fields. It's pretty much all think, pines, and some underbrush. I basically want to go into the woods in the middle of these 4 fields and clear out a decent sized area where I can plant somthing (preferably soybeans if that will work, I'm new to planting). The area has tons of deer sign and the place I've been looking at clearing out has big pines, and some underbrush. How do I clear this? Will this work? Any help will be greatly appreshated. -thanks, andrew

Don't mess with a good thing. If you clear that out they may just go find some other nice thick place like that for bedding, etc. Oh, what do I know. Have never hunted deer over bait ... and never will.

Comment

i think all you would successfully do is push deer off your place. they are there for a reason, cover. i cant think of any good reason to remove a bedding on your property.

Comment

JMO~~ fiend you a good spot and set-up two tree stands
        that sounds like a Deer Hunter Honey Spot.

Comment

As others have said, leave it alone and find some good stand sites for next year.

Comment

What the other guys said, but I would also scout out some stand locations and very slowly, trim out the shooting lanes in the best areas. So come next year, your ready.

Comment

if the deer are already there why mess with it?

Comment

leave the pines where they are. You need a safe haven for the deer or like stated above. You will push what yu have off your property. Learn where to setup and when . trail cameras are a big help in determing when they move and why. Winds and weather play a key role in why and where they move. Pine trees give them protection form the weather and bedding.

Comment

I "thought" it would mess it up too!
                  A friend of mine got me permission to hunt a farm he was hunting on. He asked me what I thought about him clearing out a section so he could walk quietly to a stand he had placed in a thick bedding area.The question was asked a week before gun season started and I told him I thought it was too late in the season, and any gas from the weed eater may spook deer, especially the huge buck that was in the area.

Well, unbeknownst to me, the next day he had the weed eater in there clearing a path through the dense thick bedding area going directly to his treestand.

The first day of gun season the Bruiser Buck he was hunting, appeared on the cleared path less than 40 yards from his stand. Murphy's law and buck fever took over and he missed the buck of a life time.

Andrew, the choice is yours, but I don't think I would plant anything in a known bedding area, as it may attract predators as well.

If there is another area a short distance from the fields inside the woods, this is where I would consider a small plot of "Throw and Grow". Some bucks refuse to enter a field until after sunset. But, a small food plot just inside the woods would offer a staging area for the bucks to eat just prior to the setting sun.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad