Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of shooting at squirrels nest when they are not out. My friend always does this and I don't think its right. W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of shooting at squirrels nest when they are not out. My friend always does this and I don't think its right. W

What do you think of shooting at squirrels nest when they are not out. My friend always does this and I don't think its right. What do you think?

unethical to say the least.
    I'd try to educate your friend a little, or maybe find better friends.

Comment

Unethical is right and in WV illegal. It is against the law to shoot at game that is not plainly visible.

Comment

The mark of a law grade moron.

Comment

I agree with the gentlemen above. Dirty pool.

Comment

I have friends who partake in this activity as well as shooting below the holes to scare the squirrel out of the tree. They call it "barking" but real "barking" is totally different.

I don't like it.

Comment

Illegal, unethical, waste of ammo, and not real bright.

Comment

I suppose he breaks duck eggs as well. Shun the moron! Do not hunt with this idiot or others will assume that you are like him and you will be shunned by ethical sportsmen.

Comment

illegal in Indiana, even if it wasnt its not ethical

Comment

When I first started hunting I would do it because I would get frustrated with not killing squirrels. Well one time I shot it and I had about 3 baby squirrels fall out of the nest. I had to take them to some (crazy) lady who raises squirrels and could take care of them. I felt SO bad about that so I stopped doing it and I won't hunt with someone who does it.

Comment

theres no point in that

Comment

Like Ga hunter, as a kid my grandfather let me try when I asked.
                        I don't have any idea how many he let me shoot, but I soon realized I was running way short on ammo and had not killed a single squirrel. Since that time, I've viewed it as a "low yield" waste of ammo.
                        Unethical? I suppose.
                        Inane? Without a doubt.
                        If he's a real friend, try talking to him about it. If he refuses to give up the practice, then you've got a big decision to make.

Comment

I'll admit I did it a couple times when I was young. I haven't done it in a very long time and wouldn't let anyone I'm with do it today.
                          Next time you're with your buddy try and talk to him about it, or just tell him he's an idiot. And if that doesn't work, make fun of him for not being a good enough hunter to not do it.

Comment

How does this goober doo think he is gonna get the squirrel out of the tree if he does kill one!! Not very smart! What I do is take a stick or pine cone or grab vines around the base of the tree or something like that and try to move the nest (if you get some good vines to pull on, and you can tell you are moving the nest, and no squirrel is coming out, then most likely nobody is home). The squirrel comes out BANG BANG and you got something for supper. I have also found some baby squirrels in a nest before, but what happened to me was this: I was cutting down a pine tree to put on my log cabin. When I finished cutting it down, I cut the top out of the tree. I went inside to get a drink of water and when I came back kurt there were 3 baby squirrels crawling around on the ground. I got to looking' and found out that I had cut their nest tree down. So I leaned the top of the tree that I had cut down against another tree, and put the babies back in the nest. I think they survived because now there are 3 squirrels that hang out right around where I cut that tree down at. They weren't there the year before I found the babies, so I guess that is them. Ever since then though, I have always check for squirrel nests and things like that before I cut down a tree.

Comment

I wouldn't friend him on Facebook even if I had Facebook. It is not right, shows no respect for anything. Kinda pisses me right off thinking about it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad