Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost in the woods and don't have a compass? You may have a compass on you and not realize it. If you have a watch point the ho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in the woods and don't have a compass? You may have a compass on you and not realize it. If you have a watch point the ho

Lost in the woods and don't have a compass? You may have a compass on you and not realize it. If you have a watch point the hour hand (small hand) at the sun. Halfway between the hour hand and 12o'clock is South. This only works in the NORTHERN hemisphere. If you have a digital watch; you can see what time it is and then you'll know where the hands of the watch are supposed to be. Follow the steps and hopefully you'll be out of the woods in no time at all !

As a Boy Scout back in the day...The Sun Rises in the East...Sun over head is 12:Noon...Sun Sets in the West.
    Now a days Almost ever one have GPS on there Cell!

Comment

Great point Treestand. In the northern hemispere you can face the sun and your left side is east and your right side is west also. Water generally runs west to east, moss grows on the northside of a tree. If you don't have any sunlight or on overcast days though with a watch you can always tell time. Best bet is a GPS and don't venture where you have never been alone.Always take nore of where you started and how long you have been going. Carry a flashlight,whistle and cell phone. Though a cell phone will not always get you out of trouble if you lose service. Here in parts of Michigan you had better have a plan well ahead of heading into the woods if you think you might not be back to camp before dark. Any leave a writen plan at your vehicle and with family or friends ,just in case.

Comment

Stand at a given location, mark the top of your shadow's head, go eat lunch, return in a half hour to exact same spot, mark the top of your shadow, then connect the two marks and you have a line that's north and south.

I can automatically tell which way is north, south, east, or west as long as the sun or moon are visible. Might be more difficult if I lived at latitudes closer to the equator but way up north it's no problem.

Comment

If there is enough sun to cast a shadow, push a stick in the ground and mark its shadow with a rock or another stick. Wait a few minutes to allow the shadow to move and mark it again. The first mark will be west and the second east. from there it should be simple.

Comment

I got lost one year early in the day, and while I was lost I killed a buck. The sun was setting in the sky, when I realized the sun always set behind my vehicle as I walked out after dark. I gutted the deer, then walked in the direction of the setting sun for help.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad