Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We all have the outdoors in common on here, regardless of political, religious, or moral standings. Who got you into your favori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all have the outdoors in common on here, regardless of political, religious, or moral standings. Who got you into your favori

We all have the outdoors in common on here, regardless of political, religious, or moral standings. Who got you into your favorite outdoor addiction, and what is it? I started deer hunting with my father when I was 8. Two years before I could legally hunt I was 30 ft up in a pine tree with a Crossman pump BB gun. I now deer hunt regardless of weather or temperature and I owe it to my dad.

My dad too. Got my a HR 410 for my 9th birthday and that was it, hooked on the hunt for life. Served me well both in work and play. I have been a professional guide and a passionate outdoors man and now its passing on to my kids.

Comment

I started tagging along squirrel hunting with my Dad when I was 10. When I was 12 he asked me one day if I wanted to kill the squirrel. It was with a 12 ga. Iver Johnson. From then till I was 14 we shared the gun, alternating shots, we couldn't afford two guns, I guess that is why our bond was so deep, we spent so much time in the woods together. My Son used the Iver Johnson too. It sets in my gun safe today.

Comment

A friend loaned me a 30-40 Krag and a .44 cap and ball and taught me the skills of deer hunting.
        Another buddy had a dog and we got a lot of pheasant and rabbits. I tried it with the family poodle and she did the job o.k. but cleaning out the briars was a job. I used a Remington 11-48 shotgun and for deer a Winchester 30-30 (still have the Winchester)
        When i first got my license i would take my j.c. higgins .22cal on a bus(not in a case), make a transfer and ride to the edge of the city. Get a mess of squirrels and ride the bus back home. Can't imagine doing that today - probably bring in the swat team.

Comment

I started hunting with a three buddies, two from Colorado and one from here in MN. I still hunt with the fellow from MN a lot. He has been at my first deer, first turkey and first bear kills. Good friends make it so much fun! If I had to pick a favorite it would be turkey hunting.
          I really hope my boy gets into hunting. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

All things outdoor related, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking.
            Just like you, it was Dad, followed closely by his Dad. (Grandpa)

Comment

My dad just got me into squirrel hunting this fall and now I love hunting. We'll also start hunting other game.

Comment

That's awesome TH98.6 keep at it, it's an awesome past time and a big part of our heritage as Americans. Thank your dad for getting you in to it, and get your friends pumped about hunting too! Your father has done you a great service, just as many of our friends and fathers have done for us. Good luck, happy hunting!

Comment

Thanks pray hunt work. I am very glad my dad took me hunting, I always loved hiking and camping and never thought much about hunting ,but when he took me the first time it was one of the best times in my life.

Comment

My dad and grandpa got me interested in the outdoors. We are more of fishing family than hunting. My dad hasn't hunted a day since he returned from Vietnam, but we spent/spend many evenings on the lake chasing Walleyes. My grandpa had a cabin in Ontatio where spent summers fishing, hiking, and just enjoying the outdoors. Grandpa was a deer hunter and moose hunter. I can't wait to take my daughter bluegill fishing this summer.

Comment

Bowhunting for elk from a treestand overlooking a water hole or a elk wallow is my favorite outdoor addiction. Archery hunting for deer and black bear are close second.
                      My older Brother got me into hunting when I was in my early teens.

Comment

My dad and granddad as well. I started going with my dad when I was four. He let me tag along and follow him through the woods. Looking back now I realize how much I was handicapping him, but I know he wouldn't change a minute. Today I am 30 and I still spend as much time in the woods as I can with my dad. My granddad was a true woodsmen. Unfortunately, he passed when I was 15 but I still got to go on some good hunts with him. He had an unfathomable amount of knowledge about the outdoors that was laid to rest with him. I've never met a more knowledgable person than him. If the Total Outdoorsmen Challenge would have existed when he was in his prime he would have one it every year! I know I am a little bias, but I could have not of had two better mentors.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad