Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a serious case of cabin fever. I need some DIY projects that pertain to hunting and fishing, or the outdoors in general.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a serious case of cabin fever. I need some DIY projects that pertain to hunting and fishing, or the outdoors in general.

I have a serious case of cabin fever. I need some DIY projects that pertain to hunting and fishing, or the outdoors in general. keep it simple, and easy, because I have limited funds and experience with that sort of thing.

Now is a good time to respool fishing rods and sort/organize tackle. You can also do the same with hunting gear. Check you guns and give them a wipe down to prevent rust while you're at it.

Also, if you have turkey beards and spurs lying around, there's a good DYI mounting project on the Outdoor Life website this month.

If you want to get out of the house, spend some time with google maps and locate some potential new spots then scout them out on a nice weather day.

Finally, I'd suggest ice fishing and varmint hunting. That way you'll never have this problem again.

Comment

allegnmtn, what kind of varmints are you hunting? Just curious, goose season ends the 31st here and im just not ready to hang it up this year.

Comment

If you carve wood try making a fishing lure, topwater lures are the easiest to make; just carve, sand, paint, and finish!

Comment

You might take up checkering on a small scale to test your patience and manual dexterity. If you have any talent for it, you can make some gorgeous improvements on your guns.
          Start out with a flat piece of hardwood before tackling any curved surfaces. Good luck.

Comment

I love to make calls. Box calls are the easiest to make. You can buy kits at customsawing.com or if you have a band saw and a drill, you can make them with scrape wood. If you have a wood lathe you can turn your own pot and peg calls or duck calls. If you look around on the internet you can find a lot. My current project is carving a bluebill decoy. This fall, I'm taking up home taxidermy. I will just start out with small birds.

Comment

Ncarl, this is great time of year to hunt coyotes. Their coats are prime and they are really on the prowl for food. They'll come in to calling. I also hunt over deer gut piles. They tend to run forest service and oil/gas lease roads so I set up on them in daylight with a rifle. I also hunt at night with a buddy sometimes. One of us runs the light and the other the shotgun. The main thing is to watch the wind. I think their sense of smell beats a whitetail but they are very smart at seeing things that aren't quite right in a set up too.

Comment

Hi...

There are an abundance of 'hobbies' you could pursue.

Have you ever tied flies...reloaded ammo...made a decoy...sharpened the hooks on your lures...read a book about any of your favorite pursuits...taken a first aid course...or taken (or at lease 'brushed' up on) a survival-type class...??

Comment

Several projects are set aside until this time of year, when the rains arrive. We get remarkably persistent overcast and drizzle in the Pacific Northwest at this time of year, and foul weather provides me a fine opportunity to clean, accessorize and adjust my firearms. It's a fine time to assemble the handloads with the components I accumulated during better weather. I also disassemble, clean and lubricate my reloading presses. I enjoy leatherwork, and have a couple of carrying straps and knife sheaths that ought to be replaced or crafted as gifts. This is also a time to inspect and clean my photo equipment, another task I often set aside. If resources permit, I upgrade or change the scopes on one or more rifles; it's less expensive to purchase a scope and improve the rifle's capabilities than it is to purchase another rifle! This is a fine time to read, to study the habits of the game through books and the internet, to make the season(s) ahead more successful. I'm bored with network television and can't justify sitting in front of the tube for hours. This is a great time for crafts and projects, and I appreciate it.

Comment

build some wood duck houses and have them ready to install when the weather turns nice. A good conservation project is a good way to give back.

Comment

Make some display bases for your European mounts so they won't have to hang flat down on the wall---shows off the antlers better. It just takes three pieces of wood, one to hang against the wall, the second to make the correct angle (30 to 35 degrees or what you like best) and the piece to put the skull on. Make it as fancy or plain as you like.

Comment

Refinishing an old rifle stock is enjoyable and fairly simple.

Comment

Take trail cameras out into your hunting area. Put down some bait down, and go back in two weeks to check out your trail cam photos. You will see what size bucks survived the past hunting season for your upcoming year. You may also get photos of nice tom turkeys for the future spring turkey season. Check your fish and game laws to see if you can bait. If you can't bait put your camera facing a stream crossing or a heavy game trail. It beats cabin fever.

Comment

Hike, ride my bike,play with my dog, clean firearms, reload ammo, load development, burn powder at the range...go to the beach:-D) I love Southern California :-D)

Comment

Habben97, another idea is spend some make up time with your wife if your married. Take her out to the movies, out to eat, or even take a drive in the country. During the long hunting season most hunters are strangers to their better half.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X