Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok you may remember my earlier question about fish finders. Any how, I took my fish finder out for the first time today in searc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok you may remember my earlier question about fish finders. Any how, I took my fish finder out for the first time today in searc

Ok you may remember my earlier question about fish finders. Any how, I took my fish finder out for the first time today in search of crappies. I have never used a fish finder before but did a little research and watched instructional videos. I dont understand quite how to use one. So say Im motoring along and see a brush pile. I stop to fish the brush pile with my boat totally stationary but the screen keeps on scrolling and soon I will loose my visual on the brush pile. Why is it doing this? am I doing something wrong? Also, tell me everything there is to know about using a fish finder. thanks.

On all the fish finders I have used, the scrolling represents time, rather than distance. Basically, if you are stationary over one spot, the screen does not show you what is happening below you in real time, like a video camera. Instead, it updates very slowly, scrolling the new information across your screen.

It is my guess that you missed the brush pile when you anchored, because your fish finder lags behind your boat. If you watched the fish finder until it showed the brush pile and then immediately dropped anchor, you missed the brush pile because of the lag in information.

To get on the brush pile, drive over it, very slowly, from several different directions while watching your fish finder. If you have nearby landmarks, use them to mark your location. If not, drop buoyed markers over the side when you see it. An egg weight on a line around a soda bottle works well. After a couple of passes, you will see the pattern and be able to pinpoint the brush pile. Once you are anchored above the brush pile, your fish finder should continue to scroll, but will show the brush pile even as you refresh.

The thing to keep in mind is that the screen on your fish finder does not show you its whole range at one time, like a camera, it refreshes slowly, like the scanner on a copy machine.

I realize this description isn't great. Feel free to let me know what needs clarification.

Comment

No that was really helpful, makes a lot more sense now. Thanks.

Comment

Ncarl
        I uploaded a photo of my fish finder. The black numbers are the depth of the fish. The fish icon is the relative size of the fish. The screen moves from right to left as the fish move under the boat. Boat is not moving. The red line is the bottom. You can see this in my profile or in trophy room.

Comment

cool, thanks.

Comment

You should see what is underneath you right now on the right side of the graph. On mine, I can watch my jig beneath me and I can see if a fish comes up to check it out. If your screen is blank, it means you are no longer positioned over the brush pile. Fish should appear as inverted V's when you are moving because the distance to them starts out farther and then becomes closer as you approach the fish.

Comment

Greenhead, I looked at those buoys. The look perfect for my situation. But most of them come with 75 feet of line and if im in 15 feet of water wont the marker just float way off of where the brush pile is?

Comment

If you are going to use marker buoys I would just make some yourself and tag them with the different depths. The square marks will not float off because they lay flat and do not let line out once they hit the bottom, only problem is they make a lot of commotion when you deploy them. Something else that is handy when using your depth finder is GPS... You can use a simple and held one (you can find a cheap on on ebay or similar sites) and mark the spots you find structure on the bottom. Then make a log book of the places you catch fish, time of day, weather, structure, fishing depth and so on.... and start making a log book. If you are fishing the same waters year after year you will be amazed at how much information you come up with and it will make you a much more knowledgeable fisherman.

Comment

What is fish finder? It will help you to identify the fish. Very simple. There are lots of fish finder in the market. Quality fish finder give more accurate result than any other. Wireless fish finder always recommend. However, you can check best fish finder list here: https://besttacticalreviews.com/best-fish-finder/

Comment

What is a fish finder? A fishfinder is a sonar device used to locate, detect, and transmit images of fish and other elements found in the water. It is two parts that are the Transducer and display. An expert Angler always tries to choose a better fish finder.The best fish finder gives more accurate result than any other. However, you can get best fish finder note here.
                    https://fishingmood.com

Comment

What is a fish finder? A fishfinder is a sonar device used to locate, detect, and transmit images of fish and other elements found in the water. It is two parts that are the Transducer and display. An expert Angler always tries to choose a better fish finder.The best fish finder gives more accurate result than any other. However, you can get best fish finder note here.
                      https://fishingmood.com/best-fish-finder-reviews-ultimate-buying-guide-2017/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                        Today, 11:19 AM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to More Bad News....
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                        Today, 11:12 AM
                      • More Bad News....
                        by WA Mtnhunter
                        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                        07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by rock rat
                        Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                        Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X