Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After seeing the fishing hook clip on my cap, someone recently told me they had always heard that had racist symbolism. I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in 1989 the late race car driver Davy Allison , who came to WV to hunt with me ,did alot of things with kids. One of the programs he did was the "Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs". At all of the programs he did he passed out one of the gold fishooks for the kids to wear on their cap bill. In fact his crew chief on his Bush car, Red Farmer always wore one on his uniform hat. All of the school teachers at the local schools around here that continued to do this program give the kids one of these gold fishhooks to wear on their hat bill. Everyone around our area knows what it stands for even the parents and the general public because there was publicity about it when the programs were done. You may label us hillbilly and rednecks but we know what the real meaning of the fishhook is.

Comment

I got mine from my grandpa, he told me it was good luck.

Comment

Sarge,

You know Red Farmer? He was one of my Dad's friends. Lots of good barber shop stories! He is still driving on a limited basis, I hear from my brother.

Comment

I have never heard any negative connotations associated with wearing a fish hook, and used to wear one myself. I meant it as a something decorative, like a hat band men used to wear, that told people I like to fish. After reading your question, though, I googled it, and found the following article, stating that it is being used by some racist groups.

The filter won't let me post a link, but if you google "Wisconsin racist fish hook" it should be the first link. The headline is: "Monona Grove schools ban racist gang symbols : Wsj"

Comment

When the Great Unifier took office everything became about race. He got re-elected so get used to it.

Comment

WAM,
              Red is still driving and he is in his 80's. I have been to his house in Hueytown. He came to WV with Davy Allison to deer hunt with me. He is quite a character and a real nice guy.

Comment

Hmmm really never imagined that they would have found a way to turn a fishing hook into somthing about race. Wear one one every hat that I actually wear. oh well people are going to find a way to attack anything that they can.

Comment

I've actually looked into it and some racist group in Wisconsin is using it. It's kinda like how the Klan is taking the Rebel flag and turning it into a bad thing. Bad people making bad use out of a harmless object that is also used by people with good intentions. It's supposed to be for both status and good luck. If you have a hook on your hat it means you fish. If it's on the right side it brings good luck. My older cousin gave me mine, and he told me that it's good luck. A lot of rednecks wear 'em so i guess that could also be part of it cause people associate rednecks with racism.

Comment

Honestly. I live in the bottom of the boot state and salt water fish every weekend. I got my hat hook after I landed a huge bull red. Idk why anyone would associate it with racism. It’s been popular here for fish finatics for over 35 years.

Comment

What do you mean by "racism." Seems to me people who whine about "racism" simply hate White people. They think it is a problem when White people do the same thing as every other group.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad