Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You might remember my earlier question about jig heads. Well here's another. Who pours their own soft plastic baits. Can you sav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might remember my earlier question about jig heads. Well here's another. Who pours their own soft plastic baits. Can you sav

You might remember my earlier question about jig heads. Well here's another. Who pours their own soft plastic baits. Can you save money at it?

The way to save money at it is to remelt and pour older baits that get torn up. The actual liquid plastic that is used to pour baits is pretty expensive. You may be able to save money in the long run by buying in bulk. The reason why I pour my own baits is to get patterns that aren't made by major companies.

Comment

Remelting used soft plastics is the only way to save money. The plastisol that most soft plastic lures are made from is extremely expensive because it is a petrochemical and depends on the current price of oil. I have made thousands of worms and tails over the years, but now I have switched to natural pork rind worms and jig tails. One jar of black Uncle Josh worms lasted me two years because they are reusable, just put it back in the jar after the fishing trip for use on the next fishing trip. Just one pork rind worm caught caught at least several hundred bass last year and I would have used six or seven pounds of soft plastic worms to do the same job.

Comment

This would kinda answer both of your questions... Both are not so much a money saver as another hobby to go along with fishing. Another option is to get a few good friends together and invest together, that way you may save some money, but it is more of a hobby than anything. You will save money in the long run but not enough that it is worth it unless you found an outlet for your stuff or got together with friends. I know one guy use to pour his own weights and also sold the to the local tackle shop. He got the lead from tire places but the tire places don't give it away anymore.

Comment

ya I looked up the price of the supplies its ridiculously expensive. Im more thinking of it to save money and maybe sell some on craigslist. Looks like its a no go, good information to know though.

Comment

Yeah do not pour your own baits, it's really more expensive then just buying them and if you do not get your mixture or the heat wrong your baits will come out harder than others or just fall apart. I got discouraged fast while trying to pour my own, I am sure I was doing something wrong but it was just easier and cheaper for me to buy them in bulk.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad