Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Vietnam vets are out there? Or your Dad or Mom? Do you even care? What about vets of the sandbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandpa served in the Army in Vietnam and my other grandpa was in the Air Force in the 1950's. Several family members served in WW2 and beyond that I dont know much. I plan on enlisting in the Marine Corps when Im older.

Comment

EJP, I did not know you were a Marine. I have 3 children, one a high school science teacher and football coach and the other getting her PHD but I could not be prouder of my youngest who will be leaving for the Marine Corp in April. I tell him all the time I envy him.

Comment

70-71. 39TH IPSD, 173rd Abn. LZ English, Bong Son, RVN.

Comment

WAM,
          Thanks again for the post. As I stated I was too young but I remember and I'll never forget! Maybe it was because I was too young but I never understood why the returning Vietnam Vets were so mistreated.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that served during those harsh times. My father was in 173rd ABN 65-66.

I was in Iraq 3 tours, my first tour our Bn. was attached to 173rd so that was kind of neat since that was my late fathers unit.

Comment

Nobody in my family served in Vietnam but my father and myself both served in OIF my father in 2007 and myself in 2010

Comment

Safado
                Jane Fonda had a lot to do with the way Vets were treated. The anti-war sentiment ran high and when i returned to US was advised to fly in civilian clothes.

Comment

Buckhunter,
                  Best wishes to your youngest. He will never be without brothers and sisters through the Corps. I am still in regular contact with guys I served with in the '60s, and we're still very much in each other lives.

Safado,
                  In the '60s, there was considerable polarity about the war in Viet Nam because many college-age Americans were threatened with the draft and felt they were being dragged into a war they didn't support. As for Jane Fonda, that wench didn't develop as an issue until 1972, when she visited North Vietnam and posed on an antiaircraft gun and commiserated with her Communist colleagues. I will tell you, the media (TV, movies) depicted many RVN veterans as "psychologically disturbed" and a threat to society. Prior to the all-volunteer military (1973), a portion of our military personnel were conscripted (drafted), and I won't discuss that issue here. I joined the Marine Corps after high school graduation at age 17 and didn't attend college classes until my first enlistment ended. My peers who pressed on to college dreaded the draft, and it was a divisive issue on campuses across the country. Society was relatively unenlightened during the '60s-'70s, and many couldn't distinguish between the war and the warriors. From my perspective, I'm thankful for the Corps and the guys with whom I worked.

Comment

I know time races by, but it was just yesterday when the Vietnam vets were older brothers and young uncles, not grandfathers. God Bless them all.

Comment

My Grandfather served as a Gunny in 'Nam, he doesn't talk about it very often so I don't know much about where or when; my great uncle also served in 'Nam as a tank driver. I have family members that have served in just about every war since the revolution, some have even been labeled as spies, we have a man in the family tree that signed his loyalty with both the British and American people during the revolution, he also used more than one name. I currently have two cousins, one LT. one Capt.-Army Rangers, serving; I too would serve but cannot enlist in the armed forces of a country that seems to have no idea of where it's loyalties lie or what really is at stake in this troubling time.

Comment

Well, I've never had the opportunity to go to the Wall, wish I could though. My family has a long military history. One of my very distant grandfathers was one of 115 killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill. In the Civil War , I had a distant Uncle who fought for the Union, and his 4 sons served for the Confederates. In an odd twist, he was responsible for the death of all 4 of the sons. Also, you may have heard of one of my distant cousins, Andrew Johnson, 17th president of the US, and the first to be impeached. Probably not the best thing for a president to be remembered for. My grandfather was in the Marines in WWII, and served in the South Pacific. Then my dad served for several years in intelligence, stationed in West Germany. My 2nd cousin was an artillery man in Vietnam, and lastly, my brother served in the Navy during the First Gulf War.

Thanks for the great post WAM, and thanks for your service and all veterans' service.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad