Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Vietnam vets are out there? Or your Dad or Mom? Do you even care? What about vets of the sandbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad was there from 64 to 66. One of my patches on my leather vest say's "proud son of a vietnam vet"

Comment

Both my mom and dad served and my opa was in the Marine Corp for 28 years

Comment

My Father was in the Navy during WWII. Five of my Uncles, the Williams Brothers, flew planes in WWII. All came home but my Uncle Bill Williams. His Bomber plane was shot down over Italy. Three of my Uncles became Captains for three different major airlines. My Uncle Jack flew with Eastern Airlines, my Uncle Bob flew with Pan Am Airlines and the youngest Uncle Ed flew with American Airlines. This past weekend my last surviving Uncle Ed was buried. Two Air Force soldiers were at the grave site. They folded the American flag that was on the coffin, and gave it to Ed's oldest son Brad. After that one of the Air Force soldier played taps with the trumpet, while the other was in full salute staring at the flag. It was very sad. My uncles and father will all be remembered for their military service, for the rest of my life.

Comment

My father served for for years. Two of the years he was in Texas, the other two were in Vietnam. He still gets emails from his old army friends.

Comment

My dad blew out his knee playing highschool football so they didn't want him on the front line so he was sent to Germany and drove a truck. From the few stories I heard, it was nothing but a drunkfest with a few fights with the French mixed in. He hated the French.

Comment

I went to visit the Wall in 1990. I have not mustered up enough sand to go back again....yet.

Two Forks, I believe that your birds gave us a ride or two out of Kontuum, An Khe, and Bong Son.

Comment

I served during Nam and had orders to go. A week before I was to deploy my orders got changed due to the de-escalation. Nixon did something right. So I got shot at in Panama instead, but that didn't count so no campaign ribbon for a shoot-'em-up that never made the news.

Comment

WAM,
                  I didn't serve; too young, my brother registered but the boys came home before his number was called. Thanks for the post it is very moving and a lot of information that I did not know earlier. Thanks to all of you that did serve for your service and sacrifice. Of the 10 boys in my fathers family 9 served in the U.S. Military during WW II and Korea. Something that we are very proud of.

Comment

my old man did three tours through Nam. My nephew is in Arlington because of the sandbox. I've had family in every conflict since the revolution. Worst day of my life was finding out I wasn't eligible to serve my country.

Went to the wall with my old man when i was in middle school, My dad cried.

Comment

Hi...

I, too, visited the wall (Was kicked off the grass by 'security'...!! Didn't know any better).

Was too young for Korea, and too old for Nam. Served in the Navy during the Cold War. No ribbons, no medals, no bands when returning to port.

Spent two years and two months aboard a World War II-style LST (Long Slow Target). Watched our jets chase Russian planes away from our operating areas.

Comment

My father is a Marine Corp Vet who spent a tour as an ammo tech at a ammo dump just outside of Da Nang in a place called the DogPatch. That ammo dump ASP-1 I believe, blew up in spectacular fashion shortly after he left for home. He was even going to go back for a second tour, but was discharged when his father got sick. He still hasn't gone to the wall, but did spend a night guarding the traveling wall when it came to Connecticut recently.

Comment

I served a tour with the 390 Fighter Wing (The Gunfighters) out of Danang. I have made 2 trips to the Wall. The first trip was a very hard trip to make. A non Vietnam Vet can't imagine what a moving experience it is when you try to approach that Wall. I stood within sight of the Wall for along time before I could go down to it. I was lucky to have my daughter with me for support. That first time approaching the Wall is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I knew alot of my buddies on the Wall and I traced my first cousin's name for his Son that he never saw and gave it to him. My state of WV did have the highest casulty rate of deaths per capita for the war. Reguardless of what people say about Vietnam Vets , till the day I die I am extremely proud to be a Vietnam Vet and to serve my country. Most of us were't misfits like we were protrayed to be by the media and the public.

Comment

1971 to 1972 most of that time was playing peekaboo in and hide& seek. Worst 400 days of my life. I still have nightmares and wake up sweating. Caught myself getting ready to elbow my wife in midflight couple times. We don't talk about it much. From there I went to Korea then state side 6 months later. Finished my duties @ Wurtsmith AFB siting in a tower. Been to the wall once. Brought back far to many memories for me to ever go back. I went in on the buddy system with 5 other buddies I went to school with. I'm the only one living now. The first we lost in boot camp,3 to agent orange the other is listed as mia.. We just don't go there. nice post Wam,it's nice to know some never forget

Comment

WAM thanks for posting this information. Been to the wall twice. That is a sad, sad experience. You already know my history with the Army. See you in October under happier circumstances.

BTW My former brother in law never got to meet his father. His parents got married before his dad shipped out. His dad was killed by a Jap hand grenade on Okinawa. I don't know if he even knew the wife was pregnant before he was killed.

Comment

I served with 1st Marine Division (USMC) as a field communicator in and around Chu Lai in 1966-67. Visited the Traveling Wall when it came to Fort Vancouver, WA, and that seemed to take a lot out of me. A few years later, I revisited it when it came to the Willamette National Cemetery in the Portland area, and brought my son with me because he was in high school and trying to make a decision about what to do after HS graduation.
                                Using the internet and the directory, it wasn't difficult to find the names I sought, and I told him about the guys. He looked about and saw other vets my age, many emotionally affected by the visit, and there was a point I wanted to make; it's not a video game, it's a serious commitment.
                                My son is now serving on his second deployment to the Gulf aboard the USS John C. Stennis, and I'm proud of the job he's doing as an aircraft electronics technician.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad