Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How ironic that today we celebrate the life of one of our greatest civil rights leaders and inaugurate a leader that clearly wan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Again, I would like to remind you that Grant's instructions, even those he received from Lincoln, were that the South had to surrender unconditionally. That means NO terms. At Appomattox Lee asked for terms of leniency for his soldiers (i.e. that the officers be allowed to keep their weapons and the troops be allowed to keep one horse each to plow their fields). Grant, ON HIS OWN AUTHORITY AND IN CONTRAVENTION OF ORDERS FROM HIS SUPERIORS, granted those terms without equivocation. A man who would stick his neck out like that to conserve the dignity of the vanquished, particularly General Lee, could hardly be called dishonorable.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    What? I was a Park Ranger at New Orleans, spent some time up at the Vicksburg unit, and that's the FIRST time I have EVER heard that story! Let's see if I can find anything ... nope. Nothing! And really, it hardly seems likely that Grant would execute the citizenry when he PAROLED ALL 30,000 CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS CAPTURED AT VICKSBURG. He was worried that he would not be able to feed or care for them properly as prisoners of war (both sides were equally guilty of horrible conditions in their camps) so he simply TURNED THEM ALL LOOSE. Many wound up later fighting against Union troops at Battle of Chattanooga. So, if he didn't execute the soldiers, the guys who had actually been shooting at Union troops (much to his detriment later), why would he execute the citizens? Seems you have just uncovered more evidence of what a remarkably honorable man Grant actually was. But what about those Confederate troops he paroled on promise that they would cease hostilities till the war's end? Not so honorable.

Brian, I don't know who has been teaching you your history but they are the ones that need to be given the blindfold and cigarette IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Proverbs
    replied
    Part of Obama's strategy is to divide people. Makes conquering them easier. That's not my opinion, that's from "Dreams from My Father," Obama's 1995 book.

From some of these posts, it looks like he's making progress.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Something else worth mentioning about Grant is that the leniency he showed at the surrender was more or less on his own initiative. He agreed with Lincoln's plan for a tolerant reconstruction, however Lincoln was on the hot seat trying to keep the two radical factions in Congress tied together long enough to get the war concluded. Fortunately for the South, Grant was able to step forward and act decisively at a key moment. It was extremely fortunate because Lincoln was assassinated shortly afterwards. His opponents still had to honor Grant's commitments and the leniency he showed at Appomattox helped many fence-riding undecided states get on board and follow through with a less-punitive reconstruction.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Thanks. However, it should read that Grant's name was sullied not slurried. Hit the wrong word in the spell checker.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    O.H.,
    Very Good comment. Thank you for sharing those history facts about General Grant.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    WAM, Green Stamps? Man, you are an old timer!

Redfish, read Grant's autobiography. It's still a best seller and for good reason. He WAS an honorable man as evidenced by his treatment of Lee and his troops at the surrender. Grant had some personal issues that were well known. But it was also well known that he did not let his drinking interfere with his job. He was a very credible military strategist and extremely well-liked by his troops mostly because he tended to live with them rather simply (as opposed to McLelland's much-resented pompousness). Grant may not have been the eloquent inspiring gentleman that Lee was but he was no less effective as a military commander and no less loved by his troops. Unfortunately, Grant's reputation was slurried after he became president. He ineptly surrounded himself with a cabinet of charlatans and scoundrels, the worst of whom being his own brother in the Indian Department! That was a job he was not cut out for and Grant would be the first to admit it as he in fact did in his autobiography. I think it takes a VERY honorable man to recognize and take responsibility for his own shortcomings. Perhaps George W. Bush would have gained some credibility in the honor department if he could have done the same. But that would have required that he be smart enough to recognize his shortcomings. Smarts was clearly not one of his long suits. At any rate, if Grant was such a boob why is his picture still on the fifty dollar bill? And he is in good company: Washington, Jefferson ($2 bills), Lincoln, Jackson, and Grant are on the most utilized bills in circulation.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    crm3006,
    You know the score, trooper!
    WAM

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    OHH,
    I'm racking up Green Stamps to go to Biden's inauguration in 2017! LOL

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Hoski, as usual, your math is as skewed as everything else. Of the 121,745,725 votes COUNTED for Obummer and Romney, The Capon in Chief garnered 62,611,250 or 51.42% to Romney's 48.57%, or a margin of 3,476,775, not quite your 5+ MILLION. You are a bubble off plumb on that one...he he

As we discussed a while ago, I am not nor ever was a fan of Mitt. Just about anyone but Obama. If anyone is more arrogant than he, it is the lovely First Lady....

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Hey redfish- Are you saying General Robert E. Lee surrender to a drunkard? I'm glad General Grant was a drunk, because he made all the right gutsy moves to win the war. If he was sober he may of been a scared chicken, and the south would of been victorious.

Leave a comment:

• CoyoteHunter
    replied
    @NCarl - I only said one statement was ignorant, and all my posts -1ed. Someone called another person who they've never met ignorant, and what happens to them? Oh yeah, all except one post of theirs is +1ed.

@Carl - I said ownership of a machine gun not registered before the time of enactment was illegal, not anything about all machine guns being banned or anything with what you're describing. I never said you couldn't use an existing serial number, so I really don't understand what I'm so misinformed about. Also, I do not FEEL like an outsider or a corrupt politician. I said you were acting like I was one when you said that I came here with misinformation and half truths. And I never said there was an "assault" weapons ban. There doesn't have to be one in order for me to refer to the possibility of one.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Gees, seventy some answers to this question about Martin Luther King but I am hard pressed to see anything that relates to him. WAM I think you must have just racked up enough points to win something or other to test!

crm3006 lecturing others on proper forum etiquette? Hoooo boy! I think I just soiled myself! Har, har, har! The guy is perhaps the rudest contributor on here.

Leave a comment:

• Hoski
    replied
    Ahh, A 5 million+ margin of victory is nowadays defined as a slim margin.
    I suppose the term "uninformed" could just as likely be applied to the "other group" eh?

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    No coyotehunter, they are -1ing you because you are telling them their honest opinion is ignorant.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad