Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in Western iowa. I was wanting to stock a farm pond. It already has croppie, some bass, and possiby a couple grass carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with philbourjaily and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I'm with Phil. DNR will know. I stocked one across the South Dakota state line probably not too far from you. Bass, bluegills and catfish. It was a stock pond about half an acre and held 15 catfish. We didn't harvest the catfish too often because they were there to keep the blue gills from overpopulating. The cats and the bass ate the bluegills and we fished for bass. The bass grow quickly and you can harvest quite a few without depleating the population but you have to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    Phil's right.

Leave a comment:

• vtbluegrass
    replied
    If you want big bass having crappie can go poorly. Other than crappie over populating as previously stated they compete directly with you bass for resources. Crappie eat the same thing as your bass especially the young bass that you want to be able to grow fast. If you have common carp just be sure to keep them in check because they too can wreck a pond. Like those before me say, the DNR will have the answers.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Phil gave you good advice. Crappie can be problemeatic in ponds, especially smaller ponds as they can over populate rapidly. You might very well have to start over. Most state DNR fisheries departments can conduct on site sampling of farm ponds to determine population balance and make further stocking recommendations. Just shotgunning fish inot a pond without knowing your present situation can make for problems.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    Take Phil's advice about calling IDNR; many states offering stocking programs that are down right cheap. I'm the president of our 17 acre neighborhood lake. Illinois DNR stocked the entire lake with bluegill, redear, catfish and LM bass for $42.00.

Same number/size of fish from local hatchery was almost $18,000.00. That number is not a misprint.

Leave a comment:

• philbourjaily
    replied
    Cannel cats do well in farm ponds and can grow to good size. I'd contact your local Iowa DNR fisheries biologist for stocking advice.

Leave a comment:

• I live in Western iowa. I was wanting to stock a farm pond. It already has croppie, some bass, and possiby a couple grass carp

I live in Western iowa. I was wanting to stock a farm pond. It already has croppie, some bass, and possiby a couple grass carp. What should go in there? Maybe catfish? Also where in western iowa could i find someone to stock it and how much could it be expected to cost. Also how dot thay do it?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad