Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of squirrel do you think tastes the best: red,fox or gray squirrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of squirrel do you think tastes the best: red,fox or gray squirrel?

What type of squirrel do you think tastes the best: red,fox or gray squirrel?

whitetail

Comment

alot of a squirrels taste depends on what they have been eating. Bite into a squirrel thats been chewing on hedge apples and you'll know it. If I had to pick, I'd say fox squirrels.

Comment

Gray

Comment

Red and fox are the same. Gray are the best especially the young.
          If you get a mess of red adults you may want to par- boil them before frying.

Comment

ive always liked gray the best. never has red though

Comment

My favorite are red squirrels, even though they are the smallest, they are the most tender to me.

Comment

Easy gray, and a gray is twice the size of a red or fox

Comment

I've never had reds or fox, only grays, but the grays are good. I look forward to trying fox squirrels within the next few weeks.

Comment

I grew up hunting fox (red) and cat (grey) squirrels in the creek and river bottoms of east Texas. With twenty years experience, I can make these statements about them.
                    The fox/red is the larger of the two.
                    The cat/grey is always tender where the fox/red adult is not.
                    The cat, to me anyway, was much more fun to hunt.

Comment

Here in the midwest, fox squirrels are twice the size of grays.

Comment

They taste the same to me, maybe because I prepare them the same. I just get more meat out of fox squirrels being that they are typically bigger.

Comment

I've eaten grays and reds. both are delicious, but I prefer to leave the reds alone. FirstBubba, up in New York (where the fox squirrel is a very rare sight), the red squirrel is a tiny chatterbox that loves to blow your cover while hunting. I think I enjoy squirrel as much as any wild game. In my own house, they never make to the freezer. Helping my late mother clean her deep freeze, I found a bunch of cleaned and freezer burned squirrels my dad had forgotten about; I just about cried.

Comment

fox squirrel. without the shot

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad