Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical question - Let's say you were going out turkey hunting with your 12 gauge and the turkeys weren't gobbling. You kno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question - Let's say you were going out turkey hunting with your 12 gauge and the turkeys weren't gobbling. You kno

Hypothetical question - Let's say you were going out turkey hunting with your 12 gauge and the turkeys weren't gobbling. You know it's hopeless today, so you start haeding back to the truck. You see, all alone, a alien spaceship hovering in a field. Do you shoot it?

I have seen the "shoot it and see what happens" idea go horribly sideways on a few occassions. My bet would be any alien that has a spaceship, also has something bigger than a 12 gauge to shoot back with. I think I would try to buddy up with them and see what kind of hunting opportunities they may have on their planet. Maybe some 2000 pound deer with 10 foot wide racks, or turkeys the size of cars, you can never have to many hunting buddies, especially ones with a good vehicle to get you places.

Comment

No, I don't have an alien license and would have no idea how to field dress one, what constitutes a tropy worthy of the taxidermy costs, or who would be willing to mount it anyway. I would, however, probably be digging thru my pockets for my camera.

Comment

Heck no!
        I'm always up for an adventure!
        I'd go up and try to communicate,after I called home and told my wife what I was getting ready to do.

Comment

... so I'm thinking its because of people like you that science fiction writers always assume that visiting aliens will be hostile

Comment

Plus, I'm pretty sure its a violation of the prime directive.

Its certifiably in violation of first contact protocol.

Not to mention conduct unbecoming a Starfleet officer, a court marshal-able offense.

***I am a member of an endangered species know as trekkie-hunters***

Comment

No, I'd ask for autographs and pics, geez.

Comment

If I was as far frome the truck as I usualy end up turkey hunting, I would ask for a ride back to the truck.

Comment

idahooutdoors,

LOL thats a classic LOL hey, you never know if you don't ask right?

Comment

defenitly man. they probed me up the ass, theyre always listen man. i thik im goonna smoke some weed and listen to the grateful dead, but judst rembeer they are always listen man

Comment

Well being that my 12 gauge only shoots 3 inch shells, I would probably try to make friends with them. But of course if I had 3.5 inch shells I would shoot.

Comment

I would go halo on them

Comment

It is an alien, it had to have flown from out of this solar system, it is smarter then us, probably has bigger guns then a turkey hunter, and is much better armored then a turkey hunter. Even if for some reason he was wearing a bullet proof vest, i would reccomend taking a picture, run away, and call the cops.

Comment

Heck Yeah Shoot dat thang up!

Comment

One thing you trigger happy folks out there might want to consider is that any culture capable of interstellar travel probably has a pretty good bead on you before you get within shooting range of their vessel.
                              If you are fortunate enough to encounter an alien culture do ours a favor and approach in a peaceful manner. Otherwise you might end up being exterminated as an annoying predatory species. I doubt anyone wants their salted hide to end up on a stretcher in some intergalactic taxidermy studio waiting to be mounted alongside the primitive weapon you were carrying when harvested.
                              ken.mcloud, not sure why people are throwing negatives at you for advising that people not violate the Prime Directive but I did my part to balance the feedback.
                              Nanu, Nanu

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by crm3006
                                From slimy nine: "He has a speech impediment, which is a minor handicap in the debates that causes people to underestimate him. His knowledge base...
                                Today, 01:57 PM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Rip -rbg
                                by FirstBubba
                                Lot's of folks prefer 00 buck. Try #1, 16 pellets per round! Instead of 72, you'll have 128 .32 caliber projectiles! 😉!...
                                Today, 01:48 PM
                              • Rip -rbg
                                by fitch270
                                2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                                Yesterday, 09:26 PM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by Pmacc60
                                99 you do not know what your talking about, you are going on fake reports. I have spoken with Mr Biden , he does not have a speech impediment ! The man...
                                Today, 01:47 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X