Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to carry, and cook food while camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just be sure to wash your hands after you sprinkle on the ash. Wait, it's just charcoal. Same stuff that's in the scent-lock duds, right? Should be okay then. :-)

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, for a gracious ending to what I thought was the start of a flame war.
      Peace returns to the happy valley.

Comment

he he ha ha

Comment

Neuman, freeze dried foods and ramien? Two burps and a fart and you're empty again. Canned stuff is heavier and one still has to pack out the cans but it's a heck of a lot more nutritious than ramien and a HELLUVA lot cheaper than freeze dried stuff. The fella only has 160 acres so he's not going to be packing in miles. If he did, I would definitely think he should consider freeze dried stuff. Might have to leave his taste buds at home and forgo plans to buy that new rifle this year. Canned grub will probably work best for him.

Comment

Freeze dried food and ramen is a very viable option for a backpacking trip, which is what I had said. It was not stated until later that he was on 165 acres. Since thats the case he can pretty much bring in what ever he wants to. It's easy to have all of the right answers after the fact.

Comment

Find yourself a space for a small microwave and an active power supply. You can precook the meals during your camping.

Comment

I think it was Woody Allen who said he bought frozen dinners and ate them RAW, breaking off small pieces and sucking on them until they melted in his mouth.
                Necessity is the mother of invention.

Comment

As a kid, I took homemade parched corn. Dried apricots, and Dad’s secret recipe jerky until I had something on the ground or grouse out of the tree. I was sort of a tender wimp, liking creature comforts, so took a pot, spoon, salt and pepper in my pack. Oh shoot, forgot the fish line and hooks.

Seriously, one thing no one mentions that I have found helpful is a length of surgical tube. I use it to suck drinking water from hard to get to nooks and crannies. Also if the snow is knee deep at edge of stream. Do not laugh. Water can be hard to get to when you need it most while hunting sheep and elk in tough country. Decades ago I was especially parched for water while searching for sheep. I could see and hear spring water gurgling in a a crack in the rocks but could not reach it and thought if I only had a straw.....since then always carry a length of tube. It works great! Have written this over the years but no one seems to use it. A famous sheep guide saw me do it, swore softly and said that was so simple why had he not thought of it?
                  Last edited by Happy Myles; 11-06-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Happy - That length of surgical tube could also serve as a tourniquet, God forbid...

Comment

99, Tubing is a surprisingly handy item. One use is a siphon. A friend says a small piece can be used as fish bait, tho I have never tried it. Suspect the fish would need to be naive and hungry. Once, my suspenders broke and I used for repairs. Necessity the mother of invention.

Comment

I am on the NeutriSystem now and their packaged diners are ready in about a minute in a microwave of 1,000 watts. Quick meal if you have a microwave at camp.

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                            by CD2
                            Honestly, I would not feel handicapped running a smooth bore shotgun for deer out to 125 yards or so. If I had to, it'd be the green/black camo old M500...
                            Today, 12:35 PM
                          • High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                            by Freewolf1
                            I've seen other threads and comments about putting see through or high rise mounts on a marlin 336 30/30. I understand that these mounts make for a change...
                            11-27-2019, 07:18 PM
                          • Reply to High rise mounts on 30/30 Marlin
                            by CD2
                            I had an 835. Older one. It worked fine.
                            But it was a Mossberg.
                            I hate a thick wrist on a shotgun.
                            Read that the new bismuth #2 in...
                            Today, 12:31 PM
                          • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
                            by PigHunter
                            Thanks for the heads up about RFC. I just require minute-of-squirrel accuracy and probably wouldn't fit in on that forum.
                            Today, 12:01 PM
                          • Outdoor Life !, bu
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            It has been over a month since anything new has been posted on OL ! Is that site dead in the water, or is there a reason to keep it alive ? Is there...
                            Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X