Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to carry, and cook food while camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to carry, and cook food while camping?

What is the best way to carry, and cook food while camping?

I carry it in its can and cook it in a pot over a Coleman gas stove. If I bother cooking it at all.

Comment

I prefer to carry canned food, like stew, corned beef hash and thick soups, cooking them over an open fire on skillets or saucepans.

Comment

1. Get a cheap small used microwave at goodwill (or whatever you have of those charity reuse places).
        2. Get a camp site with power,
        3. Precook all you meals.
        4. Back to camp from hunt? Don’t start a fire, don’t fire up the coleman. Nuke supper, and off to bed. Dawn comes awful early in the forest. And the best part, no cooking or smoke scent on your hunting clothes.

Comment

An electrified campsite? Surely you're kidding Rocky! Not for this guy. Last thing I want to hear when I'm in the great outdoors is a generator howling away! And there's no KOA campground within a hundred miles of my moose hunting area. I really have never considered flopping in a portable aluminum shed a hunting camp either. It's a stretch to call it "camping." At any rate, finding enough spare room for even a small microwave in anything less than a hacienda on wheels would be difficult. I doubt this young fella has the $$$$ for something like that.

Comment

OH;

I don’t the luxury of the deep woods and I venture to say of us don’t. The deer I hunt are forest deer to be sure, but there is usually a state for federal park within a 1/2 to an hours drive. Many (OK Most now) have power and many of those state parks are open to the late fall and some into the winter. When I get back to camp, it is always after dark and cold, I am worn out from still hunting all day. I don’t want or need to cook. Just fire up the microwave and nuke last weeks pasta and I am off to bed. And my clothes don’t smell of smoke or food odors. And I don’t haul a tin shed either. Coleman’s 2 man tent (not an expensive 4 season tent either) with extra tarps and old sleeping bags on top works fine for me.

Besides, power means an electric blanket. No point being miserable, it you don’t have to be.

Comment

If you're backpacking canned food adds a lot of weight. Get some freeze dried meals and ramen.

Comment

Oooh ... a hard day sitting in a tree stand. That must be exhausting! :-)

Okay, here's how a real hunting camp works: For elk, 25 miles into Great Bear Wilderness (see my photo album) to set up my wall tent, usually in the dark. Get the wood stove fired up and cook some canned chili or stew. Feed the horses and picket one for half the night. Get up when the bell stops ringing and change picket. Out of the fart sack before daybreak, make breakfast and a sandwich for the day pack. Saddle up and ride to the area I plan on hunting. Picket and begin hiking and tracking for the day. Return to camp after dark and go through the same routine. Moose hunting camp was essentially the same sans the horses. I hunt out of camp and not out of my truck. A day on the track in knee deep snow and/or 3,000 ft elevation changes! Now that will wear you out! If you're worried about having an electric blanket then you're not tired enough to have done any real hunting. Many times I fell asleep sitting before the stove as I tried to cook dinner. Wouldn't have it any other way. I don't have to worry about the stereo of the twits in the next campsite keeping me awake. Next campsite might be seventy miles away! Only noise to bother me is wind in the trees, the occasional owl with indigestion, or distant wolf orgy. The rewards make the "discomfort" well worth it. I have trophies to big to hang on the wall ... of Windsor Castle. More importantly, I'm sixty years old and still wearing the same size pants as when I graduated from high school. 6'1" and 180 lbs of rippling muscle. Especially one. :-) Nope. No canned hunts or canned campsites for this guy.

Comment

The question called for "the best way," not the hardest way or the easiest way. I've done it both ways, and in my humble opinion, the easiest way is the best way.
                  I just wish there was a portable battery-powered microwave oven the size of a catcher's mitt.
                  We're talking about carrying and cooking here. Not hunting.

Comment

OH; Is this this becoming one of those, “Mine is bigger than yours" Or "I can piss farther than you contest"?. If so I have a brother-in-law I could pit you against. He had a similar background and 3 advanced science degrees beside. Now if his “yarns” are all true is another story. Based on your answer, Are you sure your 60 and not 16?

Bottom line: I don’t live in the wilds and neither does 90% of us, nor the guy who asked the question. If we did, they wouldn’t be wilds. We have to make do where and when we can and our deer are not an innocent Bambi who never sees a human wanting to know who that guy in orange and what is he pointing at me. There is plenty of posted land for them to hide in. If you tag one in the semi-woods, educated bucks; you have to out smart him, not out work him, or just dumb luck. Cause that old buck has seen every trick there is. Usually they fall to a car or just plain dumb luck; by some guy sitting on a stump. And I wouldn’t pass it up for all the moose in canada,

As for STILL hunting, not STAND hunting. I cover 3 to 5 to 8 miles, pre-dawn to post dusk and on really bad legs. I fall a couple times a year on granite rock, so much so I carry enough stuff to make a quick split. I let more deer walk then shot. And I am also 60 years old, had more than 1 too close an encounter with a robed guy carrying a scythe, which makes me adverse to situations with pointless risk, or needless pain. And I weigh pretty much what I did 20 years ago, and until my knees crapped out, ran 8 minute miles well into my 50’s (see above about bad legs).

Why is any of this important to this guys question? It isn’t. And neither is your pissing contest. Feel better now?

Comment

One of the areas I plan to camp at used to have power, but I think I will stick with a coleman or campfire. I had an idea. Would it work to cook food in a can and just take the paper off and unseal the lid and then rested the lid on top so there will be no ashes or anything in it and then ate it out of the can. Wouldn't even have to carry dishes. Do you think this will work?

Comment

Rocky- I actually am blessed to live on 165 acres of woods. If I didn't I think I might die. I can't stand pavement. I do enjoy hearing from more experienced hunters than I. I don't have much experience at all, and learning from just means I will be more prepared for whatever happens.

Comment

Thank Chewy; There is a lot of great info on this site. Unfortunately most of us are cranky old codgers who wistfully remember better days.

After some thought, I have to admit I went over the top with OH. I actually make sure I read ALL of his opinions, he is usually well thought out and a great source for lots of valuable information and more than once saved me from expensive mistakes. He is a bit over the top too at times; but I can’t help admiring the guy’s exploits even if he is a bit rough sometimes with some of guys here. Sorry I ranted, I know better. I even apologize to OH. cause At 60, I know better then let someone get my goat.

The upside, is now I am mad enough to take a day of work tomorrow and 1 more time try and go after “the ghost”. The Ghost, is this old 10 point that hides in a swamp. I thought someone got him last year. But Saturday, I saw what I think is is etchings on a birch. It is either him or son of a ghost. Either way the blood stirs and my focus is now on the hunt.

Comment

Chewey;

Got carried away again. My I suggest you precook your food or live on sandwiches. There are a LOT of good camp pack stove out there. Ebay is full of them at good prices too. Jetboil is one that comes to mind. I have a whisper lite that I occasionally use. The point is to make that 1 meal a day quick, efficient and with as few odors as possible. I change out of my hunting clothes before I cook, if I cook. I would stay away from fires. This site is full of posts about scent elimination. Smoke is one scent that is hard to mask.

Campfires are fun. Leave it until the evening of the last day hunting and add some beer (or brandy) and chili and make it a big one.

I don’t know about others, to me it is all about the hunt. The shot is when the fun is over and the work starts. Good Luck, and let us know how you do.

Comment

Sorry, Rocky. No offense intended. I think I inserted a smiley or two, didn't I? I am fortunate to still have my wheels. Wish I could take all the credit for that but I guess it's part genetics, part good luck, and a little bit of hard work. My eyes, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter. Gotta say I never would have expected you to be using a micro and electric blanket in a Coleman tent. My sincere apologies for assuming you were using a camper. Definitely DO NOT want to be cooking with gas in a tent!

I do wish all of you could live the life I have. Most of my friends took the easy road and they all seem to regret/resent it today. I cooked a lot of beans in the can, ate heart on a stick cooked over a bed of tamarack coals, and many fresh grouse shot on the trail. Those were real memories! Rocky, twenty years from now what do you think that young fella would remember about cooking pre-made meals in the micro? I'm hoping he chooses to go with basic camping. As basic as he can make it. The point I was trying to make was this: the easy way isn't always the most rewarding. My last week hunting birds in Montana this year was some of the most miserable field conditions I've yet endured. But the dogs and I toughed it out, got a few birds and some interesting memories. No regrets considering the alternative was sitting in the house watching reruns of Law & Order.

Chewie, go ahead and cook some grub in a can. Lots of us have done it before (just make sure you open the lid first - otherwise kaboom!). If you burn some of it, oh well. It'll go down okay. Maybe it'll even taste better with a bit of campfire ash added.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X