Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come some bows come with adjustable let off? Wouldnt you just want as much let off as possible? Why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come some bows come with adjustable let off? Wouldnt you just want as much let off as possible? Why or why not?

How come some bows come with adjustable let off? Wouldnt you just want as much let off as possible? Why or why not?

Pope and Young only allow up to 65% let off to count in "The Book". If you shoot a "record" with greater than 65% let off it don't count.

Comment

Big O,
      I have heard about this 65% let off rule, but I am curouse as to why this rule is enforced... it doesnt make a whole lot of sence to me.

Comment

Same reason that there are so many restrictions on crossbow use. If it is easy for us to hold the bow back, it isn't "fair" for the game (according to this rule).

Comment

I assume the Pope and Young people have this rule to make a somewhat even playing field for bow hunters wanting to claim a record bow kill. I stress "somewhat" since a jazzed up compound like I shoot isn't all that comparable shooting a longbow or a recurve.
          As for wanting as much let off as possible I think its personal preference. I have shot a bow with 80% let-off and it just felt weird to me. The sharp drop in tension when you it the wall on your draw is kind of jarring to me.

Comment

Some states have a minimum of 35# at max letoff.

Comment

Agreed with Big O and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad