Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those that back in summer was giving me advice on custom rifles, I finally got one! Picked up a custom 280 rem with heavy ba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that back in summer was giving me advice on custom rifles, I finally got one! Picked up a custom 280 rem with heavy ba

For those that back in summer was giving me advice on custom rifles, I finally got one! Picked up a custom 280 rem with heavy barrel and bedded stock for 2 cannon electric down riggers and $200, only 4 ever made before the Gunsmith passed away, cant wait to start to make some handloads for it.

Congrats Josh... that is a sweet cartridge and it sounds like it might be a highly accurate rifle. I'd suggest you try IMR4831 as it tends to be one of the most accurate powders from the lightest to the heaviest bullets in that cartridge. You will also have great results with IMR4350 and IMR4064.

Although the 130g and 140g bullets are normal fare in that cartridge, I like shooting little 120g bullets for varmints and the Hornady Interlock or Barnes 120g TSX will flatten a deer so fast they won't know what hit them as long as you are in open fields. They are fast at over 3200 fps and tend to be very accurate. Out to 300 yards, I've found them to be one of my most accurate bullets. If you are target shooting or just hunting varmints, the Hornady VMax is one of the most accurate available. If it proves to be a real shooter, try some 180g Bergers out to 600 yards and see how they do. You might like the results. Good luck and let us know how it shoots.

Comment

Sounds like fun in your future. Enjoy!

Comment

I agree with Dakota. Great cartridge. I hope it is a shooter for you. Enjoy.

Comment

Great Caliber 280Rem, I just got one in on Trade a Rem/Mod 740-280Rem, try some Factory loads first to see what it can do...just saying

Comment

thanks guys! and TreeStand I got 2 boxes of factorys Im gonna try out

Comment

josh what was the name of the gunsmith that built it?

Comment

Im gonna try finding out this weekend, Im at school and the guns at home tonight Ill be able to look it over, and talk to the original owner

Comment

It's a great feeling to own a one-of-a-kind rifle, and an experience that every hunter should have at least once in his lifetime.

Comment

BTW, mine was a custom-stocked 1956 Mannlicher-Shoenauer carbine in 7X57MM.

Comment

Josh,
                      I was at the range Saturday next to a guy testing loads in a custom 280 Ackley built on a Howa action. He was preparing for a Montana mule deer hunt. He was shooting partitions in his but was not happy with the results. Congratulations and good luck!
                      99explorer
                      Does your 1956 Mannlicher-Shoenauer carbine have double set triggers?

Comment

Safado - Yes. When the rear trigger was "set," the front trigger was so light that the slightest touch would fire the weapon. Sadly, that description is in the past tense because my beautiful Mannlicher was destroyed in a house fire several years ago. Sob!

Comment

Bummer 99! Sad to lose that one.

Safado, I like the Ackleys in all the cartridges using the 30-06 parent case. I am also a fan of the Howa action. I suspect that he will have to find the right powder charge (and he probably wasn't using IMR4831) and bullet seating. The partitions have never shot very accurately for me but they have great terminal performance if you ever hit anything with them, but then so do a lot of accurate bullets.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Memorial
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            All the best with your dog WAM, been down that road too many times without knowing how you are feeling !
                            Today, 09:34 AM
                          • Reply to How Many Died
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            With the liberal slant in our culture over the past 20 years or so, this country has become toooo pussified, has lost most of it’s sense of responsibility,...
                            Today, 09:27 AM
                          • How Many Died
                            by jhjimbo
                            On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                            01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                          • Reply to Memorial
                            by WA Mtnhunter
                            He got out of the yard and ate a bunch of scraps at the neighbors, I think. The blockage seems to have passed looking at the X-ray, so we dodged the surgery...
                            Today, 09:09 AM
                          • Reply to How Many Died
                            by jhjimbo
                            I was a Red Cross swimming instructor and our procedure was to dive down, grab victims legs and spin them around so when we came up we were behind them....
                            Today, 09:06 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X