Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year while driving to my duck blind I ran over a skunk that got caught up in the under-carraige of my truck so that I had t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year while driving to my duck blind I ran over a skunk that got caught up in the under-carraige of my truck so that I had t

Last year while driving to my duck blind I ran over a skunk that got caught up in the under-carraige of my truck so that I had to knock it down with a stick... my truck smelled for months. Any suggestions on what I could have done to get rid of the skunk-smell better?

I guess laying down @ the car wash and pressure washing the hell out of the undercarriage might've helped.

Comment

you could have always put something that stunk worse in the truck bed.

Comment

VanDyke's (the taxidermy branch of Cabela's) carries a product that will supposedly remove skunk smell. I have also been told all of my life that tomato juice works. Now the issue of getting it up under the truck...I don't know. Maybe a pressure washer that has a tank for soap and such? Hope I never have the same problem!!!

Comment

Here is the secret recipe that works!

--> 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
          --> 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
          --> 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent

--> Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.

--> Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is "UNSTABLE"!

--> Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.

--> For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

--> If you can't go to all of the trouble of buying hydrogen peroxide at your local drug store, then a 2% vinegar solution will help a bit.
          --> But please, don't bother with the old tomato juice tactic unless you want to smell like skunk & tomato.

These tactics do not work ...

--> Bath in tomato juice
          --> Spray with lemon or orange citrus
          --> Masking agents like perfume or Fabreze

Comment

To add to 2Poppa's reply: Use DAWN dish detergent. It is supposed to be the best grease and oil remover, and Pepe Le Pew's spray is mostly oil.

Comment

Agreed with 2Poppa and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad