Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your greatest fear while in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE STUPID HUNTER, and here lately there have been mountain lions seen in WNC about a half a mile from my hunting spot.

Comment

killing something illegal and getting lost in an area you don't know.

Comment

getting chased by a bear

Comment

I've had so many adventures and misadventures around they world it's hard to identify what might be the most fearful. Most of the time I'm just happy to be there.

I used to hunt elk in tough new country by myself a lot in really bad weather, heavy snow and fog and was concerned about getting lost. Of course, I have never been lost, but was pretty confused for a whole day once. Seemed like a year.

Comment

During rifle season it is a bit unnerving knowing there are so many people in the woods with high powered rifles. The people i hunt with are responsible, safe gunhandlers, but you never know who else's out there. In rough terrain, miles from the truck, alone sometimes i fear i'll break a leg or something and have to limp out.

Comment

Falling and breaking a bone.

Comment

Severe physical injury rendering you unable to travel. There are lots of negative outcomes potentially associated with this scenario.

Comment

Ishawooa.

I think you are right about severe physical injury. As you well know if an injury occurs in Rocky Mt Elk country there can be a whole lot of tough miles, plus freezing weather between you and camp, let alone between you and medical attention.

Comment

getting hurt some how and not get found for a day or so.

Comment

My fear is running out of time and having to go back to civilization. I am more at ease in the woods than in town. I guess stupid people worry me more as far as safety than any wild animals, and there are more dumb people per sq mile in town than in the forest. If I am going to get hurt or killed, I would rather go while doing what I love in the Mountains than some other more mundane worthless way back in town.

Comment

I learned to use a map and a compass in the Army and have (so far) never been lost. But it is always in the back of my mind. Boreal forrest on flat land or a Florida swamp is a bad place to be if you don't know how to find your way around in the woods. Slob hunters are a worry and getting injured way back in the woods is probably the worst. I have also had close calls with big Rattlers, Cottonmouths, a Bamboo viper and a banded Krait on different ocasions. A couple years ago a famous Herpetologist from this area was bitten way back in the woods of SE Asia by a baby Krait and died before he could be evacuated.

Comment

hunting public land my buddys dad was leaning agaist a tree wearing a full orange body suit when some idiot put five slugs into the tree thankfuly he wasn't hurt other than some splinters from the tree they never found out who done it now that is scary

Comment

snakes

Comment

Skunks and OH deer drivers.

Comment

getting lost or getting harmed where i cant get out by myself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Toothy friends
                                  by Solitario Lupo
                                  Never gotten into pickerel. I have seen some nice ones over the years.

As for pike I’ll get them every once in awhile just floating minns....
                                  Today, 12:36 PM
                                • Toothy friends
                                  by Solitario Lupo
                                  Just thought I’d share some pics.
                                  05-07-2021, 12:09 PM
                                • Reply to Mike Lyndell's new site
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  You should watch his video - very well researched.

The original has been removed. Here is another that has some of the same content....
                                  Today, 11:37 AM
                                • Mike Lyndell's new site
                                  by franchi20
                                  Mike Lyndell will make a formal announcement from the Corn Palace, 6:00CDT, launching FrankSpeech.com. Check dakotanewsnow.com/news/.
                                  Yesterday, 01:50 PM
                                • Reply to Mike Lyndell's new site
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  If fraud is found in several States and confirmed by the Court system all the way to the Supreme Court they will have to reverse the Election results...
                                  Today, 11:26 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X