Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your greatest fear while in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your greatest fear while in the woods?

What is your greatest fear while in the woods?

A ricochet killing someone or something that I did not know was in the vicinity. I hunt pretty remote terrain but we do get the occasional trespasser caravan from below the border. We also have cattle and horses.

Comment

Rattlesnakes. A good friend of mine just got out of the hospital today after getting bit by one on Sunday. This was 20 feet from where I park my truck and enter my hunting spot! It almost killed him, and he had to have 12 vials of antivenom before he got better. My biggest fear is that my children walk those woods w/me alot, and after seeing what a split-second bite did to a 200 pound man, I shudder to think what it could to a child.

Comment

A couple of years I'd have said not much. That was till a buddy of mine and I had taken his nephews(3) and a buddy of theirs on a elk hunt, and wound up being "hunted" our selves. By a large mt. lion. I'd say, by judging pad size and one we saw the next night he was in the 150/200lb. range.
        So I'd have to say "getting a youngster injured/killed" due to in-attentiveness on my part.

Comment

How about you Del ?

Comment

Probably climbing up a treestand and then looking at a poisonous snake ready to bite

Comment

Here in NW Ohio there isn't much to worry about in the form of snakes or dangerous game. I was fine with skunks until last goose season while working on a flock I looked to my left and there was a skunk 6 feet away from me wondering what in the hell I was doing. Ever since then, skunks have always been in the back of my mind when I hunt that property.

Comment

Here on the East coast there really isn't too much to worry about. But, like Streack said... Skunks show up out of no where when walking in the dark. The worst is walking in a field with a headlamp only shining a few feet in front of you and all of a sudden a skunk pops into view. What a great rush. haha

Comment

Mountain Lions, getting left by hunting buddies and getting lost in a new hunting area.

Comment

I do most of my hunting in North Carolina, being from New York all of the terrain is new. So I always worry about getting lost in the woods.

Comment

During bow season I worry about yellow jacket nests, as a friend of mine says" they are straight from the bowls of hell". Another thing I worry about is running into a nest of those Giant African hornets. They make bald faced hornets look like house flies. If you have never seen one go look them up. They are huge about 3 inches long and are way more aggressive than anything else I know of. After that I would have to say running into a female bear with cubs, I do not ever want to experience that situation.

Comment

BigFoot

Comment

My only fear ever is people. Not everyone takes care to make sure that the moving object is really game.

A friend of mine had a round go very close to him. Thank goodness that the "hunter" was a bad shot as well as stupid.

Comment

Getting shot or getting lost.

Comment

Snakes and the "stupid hunter" Jeff mentioned. I have had trespassers from neighboring hunting property show up on mine and I worry that if they are willing to break the law to hunt, they are likely not paying attention to safety and IDing their target before pulling the trigger.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad