Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here prefers a .243 over a .25-06 and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here prefers a .243 over a .25-06 and why?

Who here prefers a .243 over a .25-06 and why?

I've done some studying on it. Both calibers are excellent for deer, varmint, pronghorn, antelope, etc. Also, a 25-06 is the smallest recommended caliber to be used on elk, which is an advantage over the .243. Neither guns pack much recoil. With a little money invested in a recoil pad, it shouldn't be noticeable at all. In my opinion, the 25-06 hovers far over the .243 when it comes to ballistics. The 25-06 cartridge packs a little more powder, therefor flatter shooting, and more ft lbs of energy. I believe that would mean more speed than the .243. One thing to provide mental comfort to the hunter, is that a .25-06 shoots a heavier bullet than a .243. Let me correct that, it CAN shoot heavier wt. grain bullets than a .243. A 25-06 goes pretty versatile, approx. 100 gw. minimum all the way to about a 140ish. That can give the shooter some peace of mind, knowing that the bullet will pack some punch. The .243's heaviest bullet is about a 100 grain. Now I'm only 14 years old, and I was going to buy myself a .243 until I did some bullet studying. Then I found myself wanting a .25-06. If anybody's reading this, probably not (haha). If anybody's reading this, I strongly encourage you to study the rifle caliber you want to get, and all of the neighboring rifle calibers. like, say you want a 25-06. You should do some studying on the .243, .270, etc. It will really help you in the long run. 5 years down the road, you don't want to be wishing you bought a different rifle caliber. Tell me your opinions, on what you thought i said was correct or incorrect.

Comment

Reid, I agree w/you. I have 2 .243's, and they both work marvelously on deer. I hunt w/ a .270, but whenever finances permit, my next rifle will definitely be a .25-06. It's ballistics are impressive. I don't really have a need for one or I'd already have it, but when my son get's old enough for a full-size rifle (one of the .243's is a youth model) I'll probably be in the market for a .25-06.

Comment

I am partial to the 243, because that was my first love... so to speak, and I currently have one in a ruger rifle that is wonderful to shoot. That being said the 25-06 is a great round and if I ever have to opportunity to pick one up I would jump at the chance.

Comment

One thing I can say what s good about the 243, 308 / 7.62 NATO Military Match do make beautiful 243 cases!

Comment

Either will work well. You may have more ammo choices on the gun store shelves for the .243 as it is more popular. Just came back from a spring varmint hunting trip. I was getting consistant hits at up to 300 yards on our little 4 inch tall by 1 inch wide desert squirrels with 55 grain Noslers loaded to about 3700 fps out of my Tikka T3 light topped with a Burris Euro Diamond. I brought along some 95 grain nosler partitions just in case I ran across a bear, which we did, though I ended up not being the shooter. Both cartridges however will offer you great versitility, more so than some of the smaller caliber varmint rounds.

Comment

Reid pretty well summed up this topic. I shoot both and like each of them. Often times ballistic superiority is not the reason I choose a particular caliber. It might be because I like the rifle, ease of reloading, accuracy, availability of components, or cost of operation. After all if you ponder why the wide array of rifle cases and calibers are available when only one or two choices would suffice for everything on this globe you might figure out why we all refer to ourselves as being gun nuts and proud of it.

Comment

i've shot both, like both but own a remington 600, .243. it is a sweet-handling little gun and it bang/flops nearly every animal i aim it at. you cannot go wrong with either.

Comment

Reid it sounds like you answered your own question and know what you want.

Comment

haha, yeah i know jim. but i wanted to see if anybody could name anything to why the 25-06 isn't superior over a 25-06 performance wise. i'm still yet to hear something that i didn't know. i'm debating over a 25-06 or 270.

Comment

Go for the 25-06 it’s not as prone to ricochets as the 270 and 30-06. Later on you can add the 30-06 to your collection and cover everything!

Has anyone ever tried 130 Grain Hornady Soft Points in their 30-06? AWESOME on Coyotes and Monster Mule Deer!

Comment

Reid, I shot all three and they are all great cartriges... just a little different. From my perspective, the biggest difference between the .270 and 25-06 is speed. I shoot 75 grain hollow points that are highly accurate and move at 3750 to 3890 in my rifle. You don't get a .270 going that fast and it is great for varmints. The second aspect of difference I notice is recoil. Shoot each one and see what you think. I was at the range yesterday and shot 5 rounds of .270 and got a sore shoulder. Then I shot 60 rounds of 25-06 and it started feeling better but I still didn't want to go back to the .270. This is fine for deer hunting's one shot per year but I just can't unload 500 of them at the range in one day. The .243 is zippy and you can shoot it all day but for me it just doesn't have the whollop of the .25-06. It is light on recoil but to me about the same as a 25-06 with same size bullets. If you need to kill elk beyond 300 yards, the .243 is not good, the .270 wins slightly over the 25-06 with bigger bullets but neither maintains sufficient energy beyond 300 yards to consistenly deck an elk. The ballistics on the .25-06 115 grain bullet and the .270 140 grain bullet are almost identical and I can't tell the difference when they hit deer... All three will kill deer dead as a door nail and I would not hesitate to use any of the three for deer.

Comment

I am partial to both. I started hunting as a child with my .243 and now I use my 25-06. Love both of them and I will always use both

Comment

I prefer 6mm Remington to both of them. You can get higher veocities with it and I think the brass lasts longer for reloading.

Comment

As a 25-06er, I respectfully beg to differ hjohn. The 6mm Rem is a great rifle and can provide all kinds of fun. These two are almost too close to call but I can tell you that I shoot my 25-06 75 grain bullets at from 3750 to 3890 all day and if it can do that, the 6mmRem won't go faster. Although it can smack deer all day long, the 6mm bullet just does not have as much penetrating ability as the .257 caliber bullet of same weight. That being said, you can't go wrong with either and I would take the 6mmRem over the standard .243. but not over the 25-06.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad