Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is with a sad heart that I report to you that today CWD was found in Pennsylvania. Following the common trend, it was initial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Edward J. Palumbo - Me too! We will need to wait and see how PA reacts.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    Bioguy01,
    Thank you for explaining that. I hope this outbreak can be isolated and the affected deer can be quarantined or eliminated before the disease progresses. Helluvva shame. I hate to see any creature suffer.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    99explorer - CWD is not caused by a virus...see below for details.

Edward J. Palumbo - The most humane treatment is to put the animal down and end its suffering. There is currently no cure to CWD, and it's always fatal. It's caused by a prion, which is a malformed protein that replicates itself and destroys the brain. Prions are extremely difficult to destroy! In fact, anything short of complete incineration is pointless. They tolerate high and low pH, high heat, cold temperatures, prolonged environmental exposure and just about anything else that would kill viruses or bacteria.

Leave a comment:

• Elmer Fudd
    replied
    It is so stupid to continue to allow this disease spread. Wait until some human gets infected, then the "mud" will hit the fan!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    What is the treatment for chronic wasting disease?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I suppose it is too much to hope that there could be a vaccine to inoculate the bucks that are being released. That would require a great deal of R&D money.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    99explorer - There is a live test for CWD, but it's not all that dependable, and the best test we have involves killing the animal. Even then there's still only a 90% detection rate, and even one CWD animal released into the wild is one too many. We also don't know all of the vectors of transmission. Saliva, feces, urine, and spinal fluid are all thought to be vectors. If we don't know how it spreads, then we don't know how to prevent it from spreading. I don't think semen has been investigated yet, and it's definitely not illegal to transport semen across state lines.

Even with the transport of live deer being illegal, it doesn't stop people from doing it. It's about as prolific as the drug trade, but there's less law enforcement. When there's big money to be made, the law tends to get pushed aside.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Bioguy - Would it be feasible to have a veterinarian physically examine and test each buck for CWD or other communicable diseases before it is released into the wild?
    That might be a good fallback position if efforts to halt the program are unsuccessful.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    redfishunter - Lol, I really hope your being sarcastic...

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    If the captive deer have it,... the wild deer will soon. SAD. I hunt in pa. and am very concerned.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Just another example of our sick, spoiled culture wanting everything bigger, better, easier, etc. Deer racks aren't the only enhanced racks on display these days either. You want it bad, you get it bad...

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    scratchgolf72 - No wild deer reported yet, but it's still early. I'm sure we'll find out in the weeks to come if it was spread to the wild herd.

EHD was terrible this year, but the good thing about EHD is that there is usually a break between epidemics. For CWD, once it's in the herd, there's not way to get rid of it...it's a sad day for PA deer hunters, especially the ones in the immediate affected area.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I'm with WAM. Do away with ALL deer farming.
    Unfortunately, with "bloodlines" selling for $20k to $30k PER HEAD, that probably won't happen anytime soon.
    Since pen raised sheds aren't "sport killed", they can be mounted and sold openly on the market. What would you pay for a mounted head that scores 300 or so?

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    how many wild deer have been reported to have the disease?

on another note bioguy, i heard today the deaths from EHD has topped the 8,000 mark in west and central MI.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Let's stop deer farming everywhere!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad