Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most useful item (s) of gear you use? Honker brought up useless I want to know about the good stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most useful item (s) of gear you use? Honker brought up useless I want to know about the good stuff.

What is the most useful item (s) of gear you use? Honker brought up useless I want to know about the good stuff.

My computer. Information is about the best tool you can add to your hunting arsenal, and a computer gives you access to all kinds of information, including useful forums like this.

Comment

My favorite is the magnum pack rack rattling system. In the last 2 years that thing has worked for me like nothing else. Last fall I used it to rattle in 4 bucks in less than an hour. One was a non-typical with more points than I could count. It sounds like real antlers only louder. Can't remember who makes it...might be HS Strut.

Comment

There is a small checklist of items I simply do not leave the house without, even if it's not hunting season. Wallet...check, cell phone...check, chewing tobacco...check (bad habit I know), binoculars, and a GOOD pocket knife.

Comment

Nikon rangefinder.

Comment

Well my arsenal of technocrap is about nil. However, a couple of years ago I did break down and pick up a duck hunting cap with two LED lights in the bill. That thing is the bees knees! Trying to put my shell decoys together with a flashlight required growing another arm or having someone else stand around wasting one of his while he held the light. That cap is also GREAT for under the sink plumbing and baiting a hook in poor light. No straps, cords, battery packs, etc. to fuss with. Just put on my cap and hit the button when I need light. Everyone should have one. Something the kids can pick out for Christmas and they're relatively cheap. Two lights work fine for me but I have seen some with as many as seven. That's overkill!

Comment

My Gerber T handle pelvic saw, light weight, blasts right through the pelvic bone and opens up the chest cavity like a zipper. Much safer than a knife I would recomend it to everyone!

Comment

Without my Honda 350 Foreman, I could hunt, but couldn't retrieve any deer I shoot.
                A "gutting cradle" gets deer up off the ground to waist level for field dressing.
                A set of lopping shears for splitting the pelvis and sternum! Quick and easy and no chance for ruptured intestines or bladder.
                A skinning knife made from a worn out edger blade performs flawlessly.
                Wife! Let's me hunt and is the best "holder" I ever trained! LOL!

Comment

Binos and a good pair of boots.

Comment

Oh yeah!
                    A partial roll of toilet paper in a zip lock bag!
                    Aside from the obvious application, there's lens cleaning, blood trail marking, nose blowing etc!

Comment

Good boots, no question.

Comment

I'm with NRA, Bino's and boot's.

Comment

My hand held GPS. I mark my stands, blinds and feeders with waypoints then bring up the map on google earth and see exactly where I'm at. I can also measure the distances bewteen all the stands, blind and feeders.

Comment

I would have to say my fixed blade hunting knife. It's been rusted, polished, dulled, sharpened, lost, found, bloodied and cleaned over and over again. It looks like R. Lee Ermey after a night of rasslin' grizzly bears, but it's sharp and my father gave it to me for Christmas.

Plus, when this knife comes out, I know that a well-deserved Scotch is only a few hours away. And that, what I like to call the "blood under fingernails with drink in hand, sitting by the fireplace with a smile on my face" time, is the best thing about hunting.

Comment

Walt, that Gerber job looks a lot better than the knuckle-buster T-saw with a finger hole in it my brother gave me to quarter his elk with back in the early 80s. That thing eventually did a frisbee imitation down the mountainside. It would have been at the top of the useless list had I remembered.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad