Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good gun for a kid and it is his first year hunting for deer and is 13 years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I like Clay's answer... it is ideal! You can even down load the .25-06 a little the first year or two if you want to but I doubt that will be necessary as the recoil is very light much like the .243 with lots more punch. He will love it the first year because it is a man'g rifle and he will love it more each year after that as he sees it perform in the field. Let him shoot 75 grain or 87 grain bullets for practice with near-zero recoil and use 100 grain bullets for deer. Another life time option is the .223 or 22-250. Plenty for deer now and better every year for targets, plinking, varmints and fun shooting... just not as versatile as the 25-06 for larger game but a TON of fun and he will never part with it either. My 13 year old niece used a .223 for her third deer last year because she felt her .243 had a little too much recoil. The deer didn't notice the difference though and never took a step after impact. The important thing is to get him out there hunting. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• kyle
    replied
    I recomend a .243 win. It it very accurate and does have more power than you realize. Since it will be the first gun your kid will hang on it for life. I hunt with a 7 mag now but from time to time I get the .243 out. Sure I grown out of it but after shooting it a few times I know where to postion the gun. With a .243 you will not be disapointed with it.

Leave a comment:

• huskerguy
    replied
    .243 is a good gun to start em off with.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Smith
    replied
    30-06 then your kid can hunt any animal in north america and also find ammo cheap- anywhere in north america.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Clay is right on and in more ways than one! The 25-06 that he recommends is an excellent round that will last the boy a lifetime. Also the remington 700 is the world wide choice for accurate firearms. If you want to buy the boy a rifle that will last a lifetime, hit everything he shoots at, and will work from the FL everglades to CO mountains then you have hit on the right bullet, right gun. Get him a 100 dollar shorter stock to go with it and he can in then turn pass it (the stock, possibly the gun) to his kids. It's a great gun (I may have said that before)

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    What the hick both 30-06 and a 338 Win Mag!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Three rifles a good hunter should have, 22-250, 25-06 and pending on your loacation either a 30-06 or a 338 Win Mag!

22 Long Rifle is a given!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    My main Battle Rifle for the woods is my 25-06 and if I need to blow a hole thru 1" plate steel, I'll get out my 338 Win Mag!

YUK! YUK! YUK!

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    I would go with Clay's answer. The Remington 700 is a great gun.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    You can change out stocks in the mossbergs as you grow too. But Mr. Coopers got a good idea also.

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    I would cosider a muzzleloader. In many places their are seperate seasons, can be used during shotgun season. This means they have an extended oppurtuninty to get a deer. It also teaches them them that they must make one shot count, and that you should be patient and wait till it gets within range. They are also nice since you cant hunt deer with rifles in Iowa where i am from.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    PS

THE 25-06 HAS VERY LITTLE RECOIL!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    This is what I did for my 8 year old Grandson Alex two seasons ago. 25-06 Remington 700 in an aftermarket Ramline youth stock and if works fantastic, Alex is very light weight but exceptionally strong for a fly weight. He loves the 25-06 and season before last shot a nice doe and last season at age 9 see my photos of him taken a nice little buck at 250 yards and doe moments later at 150 yards, both with one shot. As the young man gets older, he can switch to the adult stock.

For us extreme shooters pushing the 700 yard mark for Coyotes and deer, the 25-06 is the best cartridge from Varmint hunting to Caribou and is the smallest recommended for Elk so the young man can surly keep hunting.

The 243 which is a necked down 308 Winchester to 243-08 is a very nice cartridge. However it doesn’t have the range, range of bullet weights and wind bucking ability of the 25-06 has.

The 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to 25 cal and if you reload you can make your cases out of 30-06 Military Match Brass

Leave a comment:

• huntfishVA
    replied
    because hes thirteen, dont go witha junior rifle, cuz in 3 years he will need a bigger one.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    If rifles are legal in your area, the .243 would be a good choice. They have a company that has a .243/ 20 Ga. combo that would be good. Other wise I'd go with a 20ga. youth shotgun(mossberg makes a good one), that way you could hunt birds(Quail,Phesent), Deer, and turkeys too.
    Good Luck and Good hunting young man, and welcome to "Our Family"(hunters/fishermen)

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad