Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good gun for a kid and it is his first year hunting for deer and is 13 years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clay is right on and in more ways than one! The 25-06 that he recommends is an excellent round that will last the boy a lifetime. Also the remington 700 is the world wide choice for accurate firearms. If you want to buy the boy a rifle that will last a lifetime, hit everything he shoots at, and will work from the FL everglades to CO mountains then you have hit on the right bullet, right gun. Get him a 100 dollar shorter stock to go with it and he can in then turn pass it (the stock, possibly the gun) to his kids. It's a great gun (I may have said that before)

Comment

30-06 then your kid can hunt any animal in north america and also find ammo cheap- anywhere in north america.

Comment

.243 is a good gun to start em off with.

Comment

I recomend a .243 win. It it very accurate and does have more power than you realize. Since it will be the first gun your kid will hang on it for life. I hunt with a 7 mag now but from time to time I get the .243 out. Sure I grown out of it but after shooting it a few times I know where to postion the gun. With a .243 you will not be disapointed with it.

Comment

I like Clay's answer... it is ideal! You can even down load the .25-06 a little the first year or two if you want to but I doubt that will be necessary as the recoil is very light much like the .243 with lots more punch. He will love it the first year because it is a man'g rifle and he will love it more each year after that as he sees it perform in the field. Let him shoot 75 grain or 87 grain bullets for practice with near-zero recoil and use 100 grain bullets for deer. Another life time option is the .223 or 22-250. Plenty for deer now and better every year for targets, plinking, varmints and fun shooting... just not as versatile as the 25-06 for larger game but a TON of fun and he will never part with it either. My 13 year old niece used a .223 for her third deer last year because she felt her .243 had a little too much recoil. The deer didn't notice the difference though and never took a step after impact. The important thing is to get him out there hunting. Good luck!

Comment

Another good caliber to consider is the 7mm-08. I started deer hunting with a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 and could easily handle the recoil even at 11 years old. The 7mm bullet gives you a range from 100 to 175 grains, which covers varmints to deer and beyond.

Comment

I don't care for the safty on the 700, what about the Winchester three position safty? This is the boys first rifle.

Comment

Take a look at a ruger m77 in 25-06 with a wood stock. It's a great flat shooting gun with a three postions safety that has plenty of knock down and very little kick. You didn't metion if he has shoot before or much, but I have found for new shooters/hunter the lighter the kick equal less pre-shoot flinching. Another great caliber would be the .243, but it is not a versitale and kicks a bit more.

Comment

.375 Winchester, or if you an find a 6mm Remington

Comment

25-6.

Comment

Comment

GO for the .243, 7mm-08, .308, depending on him and you, you could even get a automatic 20 guage shot gun with a rifled barrel and a smooth bore.

Comment

When I was 13 my dad let me hunt with his 1894 Marlin chambered in 44 Magnum. He said if I killed a deer with it I could keep it. To make a long story short, the gun is now mine. I got very lucky and a 155 inch 10 pointer stepped out of the woods at about 65 yards. I made a perfect heart shot and kept the gun. Few people know how accurate a 44 mag can be, but I was able to get 3 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards with it and it has very little recoil. I say this a great deer gun out to 125 yards for any age hunter.

Comment

im 12 and for deer this year i used a 30-06

Comment

Where I live in Western New York it is shotgun only, which sucks. I started with a Ithica 16 gauge.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad