Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good gun for a kid and it is his first year hunting for deer and is 13 years old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good gun for a kid and it is his first year hunting for deer and is 13 years old.

what is a good gun for a kid and it is his first year hunting for deer and is 13 years old.

I bought my daughter a New England Arms single shot youth .243. It's light, short, suprisingly accurate, and has a very managable recoil. I bought this particular model based on budget/value, there's tons of good youth guns out there though if cost isn't a big factor.

Comment

a JR. hunting rifle wich is a smaller version of a regular hunting rifle

Comment

i killed my first deer when i was 12 and i used a remington .223 they have good distance and don't kick very hard.

Comment

I assume you are an East Coast hunter. But never mind, buy a 243, you'll be happy.

Comment

If rifles are legal in your area, the .243 would be a good choice. They have a company that has a .243/ 20 Ga. combo that would be good. Other wise I'd go with a 20ga. youth shotgun(mossberg makes a good one), that way you could hunt birds(Quail,Phesent), Deer, and turkeys too.
            Good Luck and Good hunting young man, and welcome to "Our Family"(hunters/fishermen)

Comment

because hes thirteen, dont go witha junior rifle, cuz in 3 years he will need a bigger one.

Comment

This is what I did for my 8 year old Grandson Alex two seasons ago. 25-06 Remington 700 in an aftermarket Ramline youth stock and if works fantastic, Alex is very light weight but exceptionally strong for a fly weight. He loves the 25-06 and season before last shot a nice doe and last season at age 9 see my photos of him taken a nice little buck at 250 yards and doe moments later at 150 yards, both with one shot. As the young man gets older, he can switch to the adult stock.

For us extreme shooters pushing the 700 yard mark for Coyotes and deer, the 25-06 is the best cartridge from Varmint hunting to Caribou and is the smallest recommended for Elk so the young man can surly keep hunting.

The 243 which is a necked down 308 Winchester to 243-08 is a very nice cartridge. However it doesn’t have the range, range of bullet weights and wind bucking ability of the 25-06 has.

The 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to 25 cal and if you reload you can make your cases out of 30-06 Military Match Brass

Comment

PS

THE 25-06 HAS VERY LITTLE RECOIL!

Comment

I would cosider a muzzleloader. In many places their are seperate seasons, can be used during shotgun season. This means they have an extended oppurtuninty to get a deer. It also teaches them them that they must make one shot count, and that you should be patient and wait till it gets within range. They are also nice since you cant hunt deer with rifles in Iowa where i am from.

Comment

You can change out stocks in the mossbergs as you grow too. But Mr. Coopers got a good idea also.

Comment

I would go with Clay's answer. The Remington 700 is a great gun.

Comment

My main Battle Rifle for the woods is my 25-06 and if I need to blow a hole thru 1" plate steel, I'll get out my 338 Win Mag!

YUK! YUK! YUK!

Comment

Three rifles a good hunter should have, 22-250, 25-06 and pending on your loacation either a 30-06 or a 338 Win Mag!

22 Long Rifle is a given!

Comment

What the hick both 30-06 and a 338 Win Mag!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad