Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Myles
    replied
    ...Beekeeper,
    Just saw your comment on my Gabon Viper on Del's Cobra page.

You are dead right, no pun, that is the scariest snake I've seen.
    fangs as long has... what ever. The most intense things were the bright colors and thickness of the body.
    I have photos of it also. Just not smart enough to get them on this apparatus.
    Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• idahooutdoors
    replied
    I have a kill on sight policy with the venomous snakes. The others I let live for bug and rodent control. Not much worse than looking down to see a snake between your legs.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Years ago while wading my favorite stream I had a snake swim up my pant leg. I pinned his head against my knee with my left hand then pulled him out of the bottom of my pants with my right. I never even turned my head to see the snake as it was being thrown across the river. I just screamed like a little girl and ran like hell. I was probably only about 12 yrs old.

Couple years later I had a snake chase me out of centerfield during a baseball game.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    My brothers and I were walking down a trail on Cumberland Island, which is off the coast of GA. Any way we were walking along just looking at nature and having a good old time. I am ashamed to say that neither myself nor my youngest brother saw the Rattler until we had walked past it. My middle brother who was bringing up the rear told us to stop and not move. I looked to my left and stretched out sunning it self was about a 5 or 6 foot Eastern Diamond back rattler. We were easily with striking range when I first saw the snake. We eased back VERY SLOW and watched it slither away into the underbrush. It's body was about as big as a 8 inch fence post! We were all very shaken to say the least, so we went back to the house and stayed there the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    I remember a couple of years back my sisters and I were playing. We were running down a hill out side and my youngest sister nearly missed stepping on a Bull snake. They won't bite but sometimes they look like a rattler and just scare the heck out of you. Well that gave us all a startle I tell you what.

Leave a comment:

• Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmo

Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmouth water moccasin have the most horror stories told about them. Growing up and living in the deep south I have had an opportunity to become acquainted with both. However, my two closest calls were the courtesy of a Timber Rattler and a Copperhead. Those that have the opportunity to hunt abroad get to play with even nastier snakes. Many authors have written about misadventures with snakes. Peter Capstick wrote a wonderful chapter about buring down am outhouse because a Mamba went into it and he wanted it DEAD! Any one out there ever burned down or blown up an out house or just had the plain crap scared out of them by one of the various fanged serpents?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad