Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmo

Those that hunt and fish come into contact with snakes from time to time. In the US the Diamondback rattlesnake and the cottonmouth water moccasin have the most horror stories told about them. Growing up and living in the deep south I have had an opportunity to become acquainted with both. However, my two closest calls were the courtesy of a Timber Rattler and a Copperhead. Those that have the opportunity to hunt abroad get to play with even nastier snakes. Many authors have written about misadventures with snakes. Peter Capstick wrote a wonderful chapter about buring down am outhouse because a Mamba went into it and he wanted it DEAD! Any one out there ever burned down or blown up an out house or just had the plain crap scared out of them by one of the various fanged serpents?

I remember a couple of years back my sisters and I were playing. We were running down a hill out side and my youngest sister nearly missed stepping on a Bull snake. They won't bite but sometimes they look like a rattler and just scare the heck out of you. Well that gave us all a startle I tell you what.

Comment

My brothers and I were walking down a trail on Cumberland Island, which is off the coast of GA. Any way we were walking along just looking at nature and having a good old time. I am ashamed to say that neither myself nor my youngest brother saw the Rattler until we had walked past it. My middle brother who was bringing up the rear told us to stop and not move. I looked to my left and stretched out sunning it self was about a 5 or 6 foot Eastern Diamond back rattler. We were easily with striking range when I first saw the snake. We eased back VERY SLOW and watched it slither away into the underbrush. It's body was about as big as a 8 inch fence post! We were all very shaken to say the least, so we went back to the house and stayed there the rest of the day.

Comment

Years ago while wading my favorite stream I had a snake swim up my pant leg. I pinned his head against my knee with my left hand then pulled him out of the bottom of my pants with my right. I never even turned my head to see the snake as it was being thrown across the river. I just screamed like a little girl and ran like hell. I was probably only about 12 yrs old.

Couple years later I had a snake chase me out of centerfield during a baseball game.

Comment

I have a kill on sight policy with the venomous snakes. The others I let live for bug and rodent control. Not much worse than looking down to see a snake between your legs.

Comment

...Beekeeper,
            Just saw your comment on my Gabon Viper on Del's Cobra page.

You are dead right, no pun, that is the scariest snake I've seen.
            fangs as long has... what ever. The most intense things were the bright colors and thickness of the body.
            I have photos of it also. Just not smart enough to get them on this apparatus.
            Kindest Regards

Comment

Capstick's story about that mamba was one of the funniest things I have ever heard. It was even better because I could see myself doing the same thing.

My only real close call was biking along a closed beach road in Florida to get to a great fishing spot that saw very little pressure. On the way out, I stopped to relieve myself in the bushes. Suddenly, I hear that tell tale rattle while I am standing there with you know what in my hand. I don't think I have ever felt so vulnerable.

Comment

A close friend of mine was bitten by a timber rattler yesterday while we were mushroom hunting together. He's currently had 12 vials of antivenom, and is still hospitalized. He is an idiot, and tried to catch the snake by hand, I hope he recovers though. It was amazing the effect the snake's venom had on a 200# man though, definitely should be respected.

Comment

jbird,

Was that a WV timber rattler?

Comment

I have been scared badly twice.

The first happened when I crawled up on a mamba while trying to gey closer to a pretty good waterbuck. I think I was to scared to wet my pants. When that snake took off he was moving faster than I have ever seen any other snake move.

The second happened while canoeing in the San Marcos river, as the canoe passed under some low limbs, a watersnake fell into the boat between my feet. I am not ashamed to say that I abandoned ship faster faster than a somali pirate in a wood boat looking down the barrel of a 50 cal browning.

Comment

To many to try to even answer, about the only one I haven't delt with in the U.S. is the coral snake.
                      I've caught copper-heads,water moc./cotton-mouths, and even one rattler. Never said I was smart growing up but never got bit(knock on wood).Nothing outside the U.S. though. That's where the "BAD BOYS" live.

Comment

Just reas Mr. Myles's answers on your last post.
                        DANG !!! MORE MR. Myles, PLEASE !!!

Comment

Beekeeper as you know I fish and run lines a lot, I have two stories, the first about a month ago when I was baiting a line I went up to a tree and started running the line. Well I carry about a two foot paddle with a notch on it as do most I know... Well when I pulled up to the tree I was looking more at the line than the tree but I heard the Branches above me for some reason and got to bat about a 2 foot cotton mouth out of the air as it jumped for the boat. Bad deal, but the second comes from one of my Dad's stories. Evidentally they were fishing for Crappie in Febuary when the temp was barely above 50 and the were fishing a downed tree when my Dad got poked a few times from what he assumed was a branch, when he turned around it was a Cotton Mouth striking him in the leather jacket he was wearing!!! Lucky guy else I might not be writing this now!!!

Comment

beekeper,
                            I'm not afraid of snakes but I do give them respect and distance. In east central mo., we have 3 snakes that I don't like to encounter and one I still don't want to mess with but isn't as bad, which is the copperhead. Nobody has ever died of it's bite but I don't want the pain. The other three are the Timber rattler which I've never fought off and actually never seen but live in areas I deer hunt. The other two are the true cottonmouth, not the harmless water moccasin which so many city people get confused, and massauga rattler. The Timber and Massauga rattler will kill you, but they will leave if they get warning your coming. That leaves the Cottonmouth snake. This is one bad dude. The biologist and game dept tell us not to put human emotions into an animal. I understand what they're saying but this snake has an attitude. If your gigging frogs in his slough he comes right at you, your not supposed to be there. If there is a snake that I'm actually afraid of it would be the cottonmouth.

Comment

I've had snake float within 4 feet of me when I was wading in my favorite trout stream. They were doing some construction upstream with bulldozers and scared some copperheads out of a nest. Three came right past me. I about set a land/water speed record in Hodgman Neopreme waders that were two sizes too big for me! When I got to shore I started lobbing boulders at them and pinned one to the bottom with a bolder. I dropped another boulder on it's head and fished the rest of the day with that uneasy look-over-your-shoulder-every-second feeling. I hate that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad