Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey yall. I have a 13month old english pointer, and she is only flushing birds and not pointing them. She is also hunting 25 yar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey yall. I have a 13month old english pointer, and she is only flushing birds and not pointing them. She is also hunting 25 yar

Hey yall. I have a 13month old english pointer, and she is only flushing birds and not pointing them. She is also hunting 25 yards ahead of us, which is way to far. she has been about 5 times already. Any Suggestions? training tips? ideas? It is really frustrating. Thanks!

Get her into more birds. If you don't have access to training birds go to a preserve where there should be knowledgeable dog people and birds.

My opinion, 25 yards ahead of you is fine and, for a pointing dog, pretty close range already.

Comment

She needs to learn Whoa. Wing clip a pigeon, put her on the check cord, when she starts making game (acting birdy) command whoa and apply pressure with the check cord to make her stop.
      She should have been taught as a puppy to point a quail wing on a fishing pole and she would have learned this early on. Face this problem now and correct it, lest neither of you will have a happy relationship with each other.

Comment

appreciate the tips. Already been outback working with her with a wing, holding the wing right in front of her, saying "woah", restraining her, and she's already getting the hang of it.

Comment

You are very lucky to get an answer from Phil Bourjaily. I've had great success training dogs on a shooting preserve.

Comment

English pointers like to range. Your dog is actually working close for this breed. A young dog thinks they can catch the bird so they flush them. I have seen a 11 mounth old dog exposed to more than 60 birds before they held a point. Pigeons is a good suggestion for training and is cheaper. Follow the suggestions given, have patience, you and your dog will learn together.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad