Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it is all right to hunt sparrows for pest control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think it is all right to hunt sparrows for pest control?

Do you think it is all right to hunt sparrows for pest control?

Absolutely, they are a nonnative species that have become wide spred in the US. They compete for nesting space and food with other native species. Their nesting habits can also cause quite a mess.

Comment

Sure if they are being a pest, the best thing to do is blast em

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper, on the farms back in New York the farmers buy the ammo for us to rid the pigeon population because they are carrying diseases and their feces are everywhere.

Comment

yea in pa you can hunt them yearround

Comment

I'll admit to being torn on this one, I suspect you are too since you asked the question.

On the one hand, I am a pretty strong believer in "you kill it, you eat it". How else can we have any measure of respect for the animals we are taking? (I have a lot of respect for the Native American culture, and they take this concept to the extreme)

On the other hand, as beekeeper and usmcturkey pointed out, they are non-native pests. More akin to a Norway rat than a whitetail. (or even predator species that people commonly hunt without eating) and you certainly don't eat a rat after it gets caught in your trap!

All that being said, I think I would try some non-lethal approaches at first. At our barn, we have had pretty good luck with covering the eves with chicken wire (so they can't get in the rafters to build their nests) and with placing a fake owl on the peak of the roof (natural predator or all small birds).

If that didn't work and they were causing real damage, I'd probably throw some low-base #8's in the 870.

I'd never presume to tell anyone what to do, just offering my opinion.

Comment

As a farm kid, I wore out a BB gun hunting english sparrows. Kept the farm cats well fed with them. Yet, the population never seemed to decline. I would say go for them.

Comment

Yes. Do what you gotta do. All they are are pests.

Comment

if they are being pest then shoot them. no mercy teach them a lesson.

Comment

Get you a pumpmaster 760 pellet gun. I have killed so many sparrows with that thing... if I notched my stock everytime I killed one like some people do I wouldn't have a damn stock.

Comment

To whoever gave my post negative feedback-

You are a coward, and likely an ignorant one.

If you are going to hit the "-1" button at least have the courage to say what in my post you so strongly disagree with.

I thought about the question at hand, offered my well thought out opinion. I even said that I wasn't trying to tell anyone what to do.

It is likely that you have NEVER thought deeply about a question like this. You are afraid that you might not like your own behavior when you think about it deeply.

This prospect scares you so instead of confronting the issue, you give me negative feedback for having the courage to bring it to your attention.

Comment

If it was'nt for the "English" they would'nt even be here. They used to eat them by the way(would'nt suggest it).I like a couple of others have "worn out" air rifle/B.B. guns on them.
                        As we say during duck season here in Ark.
                        " TAKE EM ! "

Comment

Heck ya! Start taking them.

Comment

Get to where you can pop them at a hundred yards with the 22 and you'll be a better shot when big game season rolls around. Not always a fan of using animals for target practice, but in the name of population control I can enjoy a day of plugging Sparrows and Rodents.

Comment

well, i have a 66 powermaster and have killed my share of them, i was just thinking of the morals of taking a bird and not using it for anything but my dog to play with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad