Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a Remington .300 Ultra Mag Im wanting to buy a scope for long range shooting. Any sugestions that are not outragousl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Remington .300 Ultra Mag Im wanting to buy a scope for long range shooting. Any sugestions that are not outragousl

Just bought a Remington .300 Ultra Mag Im wanting to buy a scope for long range shooting. Any sugestions that are not outragously expensive? Between $300 and $500 great optics for the value.

Just a thought. Midway USA has a blemished Leoupold Scope sale right now. I saw some vx-3's for $599. I know it's more than 500, but it's a lot of scope for the money. I saw the german #4 illuminated reticle was available. That one has no upper crosshair. It worked great when scanning a heard for the "big one". Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks Don

Comment

Check Natchez Shooter Supply for a Burris Signature Select 3-9x or 3-12x with the ballistic plex reticle. Beats any Leupold in the price range. I own both.

Comment

K I will thanks for the advice WA Mtnhunter

Comment

The primary use for such a rifle is long range shooting. If that is your intention, a good scope is mandatory for long range accuracy. You can't expect a standard 100 yard deer hunting scope to work.

Go on ebay and buy a used Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x. This has less paralax than anything in your price range and you may find one in the $400 range. It has a lifetime warranty if you ever have a problem and it will be capable of 3 inch groups at 1000 yards if you and your rifle are up to the task.

If you desire a new scope, a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x can be purchased for around $430. This is a lot of scope for the money and likely to be the most accurate you will find in that price range.

I recommend at least a 20x magnification so you can see well at 500-1000 yards and beyond. 6.5x on the low end works well for shooting running game and limited timber work. If you mainly hunting elk in the woods at less than 600 yards, I like WAM's recommendation for you or a lower powered Vortex Viper.

Comment

DakotaMan's recommendations are excellent for scopes in the upper magnification ranges. Check the big retailers for closeouts and sales. Buy one with a no-bull lifetime warranty if you are mounting it on a big bumper in the .300 uber mag class. Might keep from ruining a hunt. Shoot 50 or more rounds through it to see if it will hold zero. Defective scopes are more likely to fail sooner rather than later IMO.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad