Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know that this is technically not a question about the outdoors but it does have to do with getting me places to fish. I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    Good ol' Birmingham, AL. Graduated from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in EE and went to work for the power company. An MBA later, still at the power company, closer to management and further from engineering. Kind of sad actually.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    Ken and Auburn hunter,
    Thanks for having my back. I have studied a little about resonance frequencies but I'm only a senior in high school. I am going into Mechanical Engineering next year at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    Auburn Hunter-

Its true, he might not understand the reasoning for that video being BS (Though, admittedly it was clever BS on ford's part)

But, that is his fault, not mine. You throw a juicy piece of mathematical meat like that in front of an engineer and you'd better expect a response! You mess with the vibrational dynamics bull, you get the eigen-value horns ;-)

As far as where I live and work; I used to work in the auto industry. I currently work designing composite structures for satellites. I have lived in Ma and Mi, but I currently live in upstate NY. You?

Leave a comment:

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    ken -

Once again, well stated, though I doubt very much that jbird will understand everything you posted. From an engineering perspective you hit the nail on the head. As you stated, every vehicle (cars are no exception) has a resonant frequency that can be exploited by any manufacturer.

This post hits close to home as I am driving my second Tundra. The first was an extended cab from the days when the front doors had to be opened in order to open the rear doors. When we had our second child, I upgraded to a double cab to get the four full-size doors. With more than 6 years of driving Tundras I have not had a second of trouble out of either of them and have recommended them on numerous occasions. You just can't beat the reliability of Toyotas.

BTW, ken, out of curiosity, where do you live and what do you do (obviously engineering)?

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    jbird-

You messed with the wrong engineer on this one buddy.

first off, Bamacreekburn is asking about the tacoma, you are talking about the tundra.

Secondly, your beloved youtube video is of a phenomenon called resonance. It is also well known to be cooked up by the ford marketing department despite its "viral" appearance.

Now here is the bit that they didn't tell you, every truck ever made will do the same thing if you excite it at the proper frequency. This occurs when the the primary eigen mode (a.k.a. first resonant frequency) of the frame is excited by wheel input.

All the other trucks will do the exact same thing, just at different frequencies. So, they designed the speed they were going, and the spacing of the bumps to almost exactly match the primary eigen mode of the tundra's frame. If I were to run that road at a different speed (specially chosen to match the ford's resonant frequency) the ford's bed would "almost falling off the f'n truck", and the tundra would look like a rock star. Same with the chevy and the dodge, and every other truck ever made.

What you saw had nothing to do with the "toughness" of the truck, it was a carefully planned demonstration in vibrational dynamics specifically designed by ford marketing to attack the tundra because it was stealing so much of their market share.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    Guess you didn't watch the videos. That's 'real-time' video of the Toyota's bed almost falling off the f'n truck. Betcha' didn't check the CNN story either, huh? Cuz' the media loves the big 3 SOOO much, I'm sure they're biased too, right? And, I'll gladly take your bet against my F-150 w/ over 150,000 miles. Gladly.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    Bottom dollar does go to Japan. I agree. Then it goes to American workers. You can't argue against that. by the way, youtube can be biased. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you have to call them crap. I asked a question and I appreciate the answers i got. I will most likely go with the extended cab of "Jap-crap" as you call it. Its a Japanese name but alot is made here. Also, I would bet that my 1997 4Runner will last longer than an 09 ram, silverado, or F150.

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    Bottom line is, the bottom dollar goes back to Japan. I suggest you do a little research and see how much money Toyota donated after 9-11. NOTHING! Ford, GM, and Dodge donated MILLIONS in money and vehicles. This after Toyota posted record sales the month before. Yeah, that's American. I'd also suggest you get on youtube and search "ford, chevy, dodge, toyota truck challenge". Watch a few of those videos, and see how well your beloved Jap-crap truck fares. It's ok for them to reap millions in profits off of us Americans, but when tragedy strikes, where are the foreign manufacturers? Google the CNN report on actual figures, then get back on here and talk about your definition of "American". please

Leave a comment:

• ken.mcloud
    replied
    to the question-
    get an extended cab, in my experience the beds on the D-Cab's are pretty much useless and they get pretty crappy gas mileage.

to rabbitpolice, jay, and jim in mo:

How exactly do you define "American"?

The Tacoma's are built in the NUMI plant in California (a UAW shop). An OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the parts are made by US suppliers (a lot of them UAW shops also). The suspension, engine tuning, body work and various other American-specific parts are designed in Ann Arbor Michigan by American engineers. (most of them I personally know)

I haven't seen a study like this for the mid-size trucks, but consumer reports did a study where they tallied the % of parts that are actually built in the USA for all the major full size pick-ups. (i.e. building parts somewhere else and them shipping them here and assembling them doesn't count). Here's the ranking from most to least American:
    1) Toyota Tundra
    2) Chevy Silverado - a lot of Korean and Mexican parts
    3) Ford F-150 - a lot of Canadian parts
    4) Dodge Ram - a lot of Mexican parts

Having worked in the industry, I suspect a list for mid-size trucks would be very similar.

So what exactly do you mean by American? It can't be putting American laborers and engineers to work? It must just be that the company was started in our country? Or that it is our government who bails them out when they do a horrible job of running their company?

I drive an old Chevy, so I am by no means saying that everyone has to buy a Toyota. That being said, you are kidding yourself if you think that you are somehow helping America by buying a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. It was probably true back in the 70's, but not anymore.

Leave a comment:

• NolanOsborne
    replied
    Solid choice IMO, I looked at getting a tacoma, alot of money, and im about to go to school so i nixed that idea.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    I do drive a 2006 F-250(which is my dad's) and he owns three American made vehicles. Yukon(mom's car) old chevy which is the work truck and the Ford is for heavy stuff. So I'm not one of those guys who doesn't appreciate American made vehicles. Thanks for your answers.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    I agree with the American made cars being heaper but Ive had bad experiances with American made trucks. I'm about to start college and I do not want to have to spend money on fixing a vehicle. I know the Toyota is reliable. My 4Runner has almost 150,000 miles and all I've done is change the oil. Also, the i-Force engines for Toyota are made within 30 miles of where I live. I'll be helping my local Alabamians. I also heard the prius will be made in the U.S. also. Just something to think about.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    If you're carrying people a lot get the crew. If you haul stuff a lot in the bed and use the extended cab for tools, guns etc. it will do just fine but the extended cabs are not comfortable at all for people in the backseat.
    I love my Silverado Crew Cab.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    extended cab with longer bed.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    I agree with Jim in MO, Get an American truck. Keep Americans working, have some pride in what you drive knowing that an American made the truck. I prefer Chevy Silverado it is a single cab 4wd and I get about 18 to 20 MPGs around town.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to This Could Be Bad
    by jhjimbo
    I don't worry about this stuff, I just stay informed....
    Today, 03:21 AM
  • This Could Be Bad
    by jhjimbo
    My guess is variants from the Covid strain to the R-1, a new strain will be bad - bad in a sense it can mutate faster than we can develop antibodies...
    Yesterday, 05:28 PM
    by Danbo
    Perhaps we all should turn off the news and radio shows. We should live our lives and have fun. You never know when our time is up no sense in worrying...
    Today, 02:50 AM
    by jhjimbo
    I have been watching the news for J&J. My Dr. wants me to hold off another month and only get J&J. A recent research report from J&J says...
    Today, 12:56 AM
  • Reply to Fun Gun - to shoot!
    by Ernie
    More money than I would be willing to pay.
    But it is not shoulder fired...
    Today, 12:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X