No announcement yet.

mechanical broadheads? why or why not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanical broadheads? why or why not.

mechanical broadheads? why or why not.

Not, just because I have always used fixed blades. I have herd bad things about them like "blades did'nt open" and what not.

But I am sure they work good sometimes too. They proly fly a lot like field tips. But for me, I shoot fixed blades.

Comment

Years ago, I lost both a doe and a wall hanger 5X4 out at Ft. Chafee Arkansas 30 minutes apart because the mechanicals failed both, no pass thru!

100 grain, 3 bladed Muzzy blows clean thru at 50 yards leaving a gaping wound channel and there is no deference in point of aim with either field tip or the Muzzy!

Comment

WHY, more likely to shoot like a field point and less likely to need tuning.
        WHY NOT, possibility of blades not opening and or lower penetration, some can also be more fragile.

Comment

Not all mechanicals are alike. Some are of poor quality. The over the top mechanicals tend to have small entrance and exit wounds resulting in poor blood trails. I shot 4 deer with the Wasp Jackhammer OTT and lost #4 after a complete pass thru left no bloodtrail. Switched to Rage 2 blade and shot 6 arrows at deer since and collected 5 deer all with short high volume blood trails. The one miss hit a twig and deflected. I also have used several brands of fixed blades and taken a number of deer with them. They are not all high quality stuff either. Muzzy is very good if you want fixed. For me its the Rage 2 blade. They fly like field points, and have not failed me. You do have to be careful that the blades can unlock in the quiver. I sit on stand with an arrow knocked and the bow hanging on a long screw in bow hanger. The Rage is about 40 bucks for 3 plus a practice head you can shoot into a field point target. Not cheap but considering cost of everything else they are worth it. The blades are razor sharp out of the box and I have re-sharpened them and shot a 2d deer with the same arrow. You can click my name, goto my orifile page and click view all photos, then goto page 7 and there is a pic of a doe with the gaping entrance wound clearly visible. That deer fell within sight of my stand. There is also 2 ten point bucks shot with the Rage. Neither went more than about 60 yds.

Comment

Why not? Because fixed blades have worked for millenia with no risk of failure.

Here I go saying this again. Ask any guide or highly experienced hunter. They will tell you that mechanical heads have accounted for more lost deer than anything else. Why mess with something that has such a track record for no kill/no find hits when fixed blade heads are killing game effectively and humanely like they always have?

Simple is deadly.

Comment

They may not open when you need them too. But they are pretty deadly.

Comment

Fixed blades for me. I tried the mechanical and didn't like fiddling with them to be sure they were properly closed not rusted and ready to go; also heard stories of failure... never had a failure with fixed... good performance, accurate aim... no problem so I don't need a different solution.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad