Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In "Maneaters of Kumaon" Jim Corbett mentioned killing a deadly snake he called a Hamadryad (spelling?) that was 13 ft long. Wh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In "Maneaters of Kumaon" Jim Corbett mentioned killing a deadly snake he called a Hamadryad (spelling?) that was 13 ft long. Wh

In "Maneaters of Kumaon" Jim Corbett mentioned killing a deadly snake he called a Hamadryad (spelling?) that was 13 ft long. What kind of snake is that?

king cobra
    n. A large venomous snake (Ophiophagus hannah) of southeast Asia and the Philippines that can grow to a length of 5.5 meters (18 feet). Also called hamadryad.

Comment

That was what I thought but a search turned up nothing.

Comment

I thought either Mr. Cooper or Happy Miles would be the one to answer this one.

Comment

King Cobra 18 feet long?

Scares the hell out of me it does!

Snakes striking range is from 1/2 to full length of there body!!

Comment

The biggest ones can just about look you in the eye when they rear up.

Comment

Sorry I missed the snake debate, I rarely take my laptop home with me on the weekend.
              Once up on the Caprivi Strip, I stepped out of my tent, and there was a snake trail looking like a wobblely bicycle, at the end of twenty yards was a big cobra(to me all snakes look big) I shot it with 12 gage OU Browning. Some where I have a photo of a bushman tracker standing on top of a Land Cruiser, his arm stretched on high holding the headless reptile with it's tail touching the ground.
              The ground in most camps are brushed nightly with homemade brooms, not only for neatness, but so that you can spot these snake trails. The camps attract mice and rats, which , in turn, attract snakes.
              Last May, I was wriggling through the Cameroon jungle on my hands and knees and came eye to eye with a Gabon Viper, I had a razor sharp custom made machete in my hand and managed to whack its head off. Shades of Indiana Jones, my heart bounded for an hour.

Comment

Mentioning a snake track looking like a wobbly bicycle reminds me of another event happening in the C.A.R. while Bongo hunting. We came upon a huge cave with this time a track the size of of one laid down by a motorcycle. The Pygmies said it was made by a Python that had just fed. I followed the trail into the cave at the back of which was a small entrance into the wall. I sat down my rifle, took out my camera and flashlight and started to crawl into the small opening.
                Whereupon, the boys seized me by each leg and dragged me out into the clearing. No more screwing around, let's go Bongo hunting.

Comment

Happy,

Nose to nose with a Gabon viper!!! That has to be the creepiest snake of all time. Forget the 15 foot Cobra, a perfectly camouflaged snake with the longest fangs and the highest venom yield of any snake. A snake that makes a living by ambush and has an incredibly quick reaction time too... I bet the old ticker was doing flipity flops. There wouldn't be enough bourbon in camp to settle my nerves after that encounter!

Comment

Thank's Beekeeper

I wish I would be patient enough to learn how to put up a few pictures, but always seem to get busy doing something else. Really do have a picture of the Viper, gave my Grandson a picture, which he loves. Go figure.
                    The Gabon Viper is well camouflaged, but almost sinister up close and brightly colored in a strange way.

Comment

Happy I would love to see your pics.

Comment

King Cobra!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                          by 99explorer
                          I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                          Today, 06:00 PM
                        • The George Floyd case.
                          by FirstBubba
                          Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                          Minnesota...
                          Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                        • Reply to How do you fly ?
                          by DakotaMan
                          I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                          Today, 05:48 PM
                        • How do you fly ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                          by dewman
                          As long as no lightning I don't care if it rains.
                          Today, 05:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X