Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone out there ever read hunting stories by Peter Capstick Hathaway. The man was quite the yarn spinner. "Death in the Tall Gr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there ever read hunting stories by Peter Capstick Hathaway. The man was quite the yarn spinner. "Death in the Tall Gr

Anyone out there ever read hunting stories by Peter Capstick Hathaway. The man was quite the yarn spinner. "Death in the Tall Grass" is still a favorite read.

Beekeeper,

I knew Peter. Very bright man, a good writer and had a vivid imagination. Probably did not slay close to the amount of animals he claimed, but did more for the safari industry than anyone. I liked him very much and miss him.

Comment

He also revitalized reprinting of old African classical books for which we should all be appreciative. His widow, Fiona continues his efforts.

Comment

Him and Mr. Ruark are among "my" greatest authors of all time. Not to kick any dirt on others like Conners,Grisim,etc.

Comment

Ive enjoyed Capstick's books and videos for years but particularly his books, "Death In The Long Grass" and "Death In The Silent Places"...The latter begins with the legendary tale of John Patterson and the lions at Tsavo...

Comment

Hell of a wrighter love his stuff.

Comment

Big O

Interestingly, Peter was always proud of being compared favorably with Ruark . Both O'Connor and Keith wrote disparagingly of Ruark who by the time of his young death had spent more time in Africa in either of them.

Comment

Last line should read more time in Africa than either of them.

I hastened to add I have the highest regards for all four writers.... OConnor, Keith, Ruark, and Capstick.

Comment

I first read Capstick many years ago and really love his writing even though I took a few things with a grain of salt.

Comment

Happy,

I like the 4 you mentioned plus John Taylor and the british colonel Jim Corbett. I would no doubt likr Selous but never saw any of his book(s).

Comment

Thank you Mr. Myles, it's an privilage to have you comment on one of my observations.

Comment

To Del, Keep looking, used book stores,estate sales, etc. I've had the privilage of reading a book( can't remember the name) about Sir Selous(VERY Informative) and had almost forgotten about Mr. Corbett's tiger in India killing self. Thank you.

Comment

Del,
                          If you would like tales of Selous read the boring book I've told you I can't get though; Teddy Roosevelt, 'African Adventures'. Many name dropping in that book.

Comment

The one I'm talking about was writen like a bio. of Sir Selous with pics(only ones left) and interviews with kids. I believe Ruark wrote it.

Comment

I feel very fortunate that I have attained a good number of books in the Peter Capstick Series. I am currently reading "Memories of an African Hunter" by Denis D. Lyell.

Is there any way to get a complete list of the books in the series?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad