Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody here prefer long bows over compound? why, and what do you hunt for with your long bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody here prefer long bows over compound? why, and what do you hunt for with your long bow?

anybody here prefer long bows over compound? why, and what do you hunt for with your long bow?

i have wanted to try a long or recurve bow but havent done it yet, i shoot a pse compound.

Comment

I don't know if I would say I prefer it, but I definitely love hunting with my old Fred Bear recurve.

Comment

One thing the longbow allows for that the compound doesn't is snap shooting. You don't have to be at full draw to make an effective shot. This is very helpful on moving animals (especially when they surprise you).

Comment

I don' but I have a buddy(like a brother) who does.
          Buck is right, it allows "snap" shooting. For him it's also history, you see his mom and dad took on his first hunt at 6 WEEKS OLD(not kidding), it was a Mule deer hunt in Colo.(where their from). Scince he's used it on Elk,and deer on hunts with me and wants to try to take a "Speed Goat"(antalope), this year.

Comment

I like both but for me shooting a 50-60lb long bow takes a LOT of practice. It is much more difficult to draw and especially to hold at full draw for any length of time. Therefore, I usually have to lift weights and practice for three months before season to be prepared to hunt with a long bow. With a compound, you can just about pick it up and go hunting... almost like using a rifle. The longbow is like most more primitive methods, it is very sporting and more of a challenge so if that is what you are going for, you will love long bow hunting.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad