Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm getting ready for turkey season to come around and i just want to get something straight. So I was at my secret spot, lettin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm getting ready for turkey season to come around and i just want to get something straight. So I was at my secret spot, lettin

i'm getting ready for turkey season to come around and i just want to get something straight. So I was at my secret spot, letting out a yelp every 15-20 minutes when 2 toms started gobbling like crazy. At this point I started calling much more aggressivly. At the same time I did this another hen started yelping at the same side of the field as the toms. But i had another person with me and he started calling too. The hen started challenging me and I did the same back, all the while my partner was calling the toms. But the toms just went over to the hen after a while. But the weird thing was that I was camouflaged properly and using a diaphragm call that needed no movement to use. I just want to know what I did wrong or what I should of done.

Turkey hunting is pretty situational and you have to be there to really know, but my guess is that your friend should have let a few loose right after you, and then you should have both shut up. It's really hard to compete with the real thing, but 2 questionable hens might just sound better than one for sure hen. Once you get a tom's attention, you shouldn't escalate your calling. He knows where you are. Too much scares them off and gives them more of a chance to figure out that you are a faker and not a hen. I'm not saying your calling is bad, I'm saying turkeys are smart and have great ears. So next time let the tom know there are 2 "hens" and then cool it.

Comment

I feel your pain. It seems there is no way to pull a tom from the real thing.

Comment

A bird with hens is tough. The few times I have succeeded it was either by getting ahead of them and just letting the birds come by feeding for a shot with no calling. To call would make them look for me. The other is to call the hens to me and he will follow. That only works every now and then. Most of the time nothing works. There is one other trick-bust up the flock. You must separate him from the hens,get between them and kill him when they try to get back together. Got my 26 pounder that way. I was roosting the birds and accidently flushed them off the roost. Next morning I got between them and he came in running when a jake gobbled behind me and I turned my head calling (diaphram call) to make it sound like his hen was going to the jake. The first solution works best with field turkeys you can see with binoculars, That last will work just about anywhere as long as you can remain undetected.

Comment

unless you have decoys out then you won't pull a bird off a live hen, just doesn't happen. And it would be 50/50 with decoys. Picture yourself out on the town with a hot babe with you going to two maniques... just don't seem right does it??? Good luck, just relize that when you're calling goes against the real thing then you're probably going to loose, and if you can call them away from a live hen then you should probably be a guide!

Comment

The guys are right. "What did you do wrong", your NOT a female turkey they could see.
            Good Luck(next time), and Good Hunting !

Comment

Happens all the time. A Tom will always go to the bird he can see. wouldn't have matter if you had 5 or 6 different calls working. My uncle and I hunt together and have learned calling less adds that eliment of wonder and usually produces better results. Once in awhile you might try using a gobble call in that situation. Then that Tom feels challenged and may come looking for confrontation. Good luck!

Comment

The best caller/caller's in the world can't beat the real thing. That's turkey hunting.

Comment

In this situation I would have just mocked the hen. She probably would have come in almost in your lap if you were well concealed and still. It is a tricky situation, but if you are sly enough about it calling her into range will in turn bring those toms right along. The best decoy in the world is a living, breathing, yelping hen. Be extremely cautious though. You will have to avoid being "busted" by the hen as well as the toms.

Comment

Agreed with DanInArkinsaw and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad